Thursday, April 23, 2009

The Mark of Zorro: 7-3

Not a lot to say about this one. We entered the game tied at 6-3 for fourth with Joe Disc-Pack. Problem was, Who Hucks to the Huckers and The Incredible Huck, the two teams tied for second at 7-2, were playing one another, so one was more or less guaranteed to end up at 7-3. So if we won and Joe Disc Pack won, we would be in a three-way tie, and our point diff (thanks to those games with both Whhth and IH when Nat, Tom and I were out) would leave us in 5th. If we won (7-3) and Joe lost (6-4), we would be in fourth, and if we lost and Joe lost, we would be tied at 6-4, so we would be 4th (since we beat Joe). In other words, what we did was immaterial; our final seeding on the season was dependent on Joe's performance. Fortunately, they were playing Justin/E-bay's solid team Cowbell (whom we beat last week but is generally a good team), so our chance of finishing fourth looked good. But it had nothing to do with us.

Phew. Make enough sense? So the game was meaningless, but we were playing Vince's team aka Super Smash Bros. With nothing on the line other than going into the playoffs on a high note), it was hard to get morivated for this. We were also missing Jack, out at a meeting, and Nat, who we learned Tuesday is out for the season. Awesome. Throw on that Kelly is also out for the season and Genevieve was out of town, and there were just a lot of reasons to not care a whole lot. Throw on top of *that* the fact that Vince's team pretty much wanted to lose and come in 7th, the whole thing was set up for a dumb game.

And dumb it was. Ugly game, and I played not-so-great. Admittedly, a lot of this was because I was trying to do things like get it to Beck and Salina independent of circumstance and Smash Brother's dudes just kept poaching off and D'ing. So an inordinate number of turns from yours truly - I can think of five off the top of my head, all of them related to stupid efforts to jam into people with throws I would normally not have even thought about.

Whatever. We won, 14-13, so I suppose we played well enough. Pretty disappointing that we didn't play well, especially in the whole "organized offense" domain - we just couldn't run an endzone O to save our life, and people kept making bad decisions. Really low-level, tons-of-turns style game, and I was not into it at all.

Fun times: someone threw a huck to a woman that was guarded by Salina. I ran after it, but unable to get there in time, I just started yelling to Salina that the disc was UP UP UP and when Salina whiffed on it, I yelled "Dammit," Jack Bauer style, on reflex. The girl, natch, dropped it, and there was a lot of griping from the sideline about my having distracted her. Awesome. I didn't mean to, obviously, was just trying to communicate to my teammate and then got frustrated, but it's not like I was yelling Ooga booga in her ear as she tried to catch it. So a little good-spirited silliness ensued, but it was dropped...

Until a point later, when Craig threw me a terrible hammer that sailed out the back of our endzone. I made a toe down trailing-edge layout snag of the hammer, and I was roughly 90% sure my toe was inbounds as I had stopped at the edge of the endzone before bidding. But I didn't know for sure, so I looked around to get some confirmation. Their sideline gave me some crap along the "you don't know, you were too busy yelling at our girl, blah blah blah" type stuff that was some of the most inept heckling I've heard in some time. Someone yelled "How could you be in, you landed on your chest!" to which I replied "My foot was down!," apparently too exuberantly. They proceeded to give me more crap. Paul (teammate) and Tricky (impartial observer) both indicated that I was in, so I called myself in, to more comments. Great. As Miller noted afterwards, I was honestly trying to get an opinion on whether my to was in or not, but since they responded with stupidity, whatever, just call myself in.

It was a ridiculous catch, regardless. Huzzah. Self-five.

That was it for the drama on the evening, but it ruined an already idiotic game for me. Even Beck thought they were bing jerks about the whole thing, so for once I have some backup. Vince et al are almost always a sort of "goofy, fun team," but per usual they hide behind this to be clandestine jackasses to some extent. Whatever.

That was overly harsh; Vince, Obert, Jamie, Liesl and everybody were fine, it just an overly caustic vibe that I (and Beck) felt I was getting for no obvious reason. Other than, you know, that I'm the villain that is Nyet. Mwuhaha. But really, the game was fine, good times, but we really played down to their level, and it makes me worry about the weekend.

On the plus side, Allyson, Beck and Salina were our only women there, so our relative newbies got a lot of exposure and playing time. We got the disc to a lot of people on our team as a whole, which is nice. Still, it's odd - and perhaps due to our everchanging lineup - that in week 10, we can't even propoerly run an endzone.

So sort of a put me in a bad mood type game, and not my favorite way to end a season. My hamstrings bothered me all game - the worse part about my ankle is how out-of-sorts it's rendered all my other muscles - and between that and our wacky lack of flow, and Nat being done, etc., I just don't have 100% confidence in how thigns are gonna go this weekend. Not ideal.

Oh, yeah, this weekend - Joe Discpack did end up losing (so yeah, thanks for the 30 minute explanation Volo, but ultimately you didn't get it done, so, phhhhhbt?), so we ended up tied for third in the Wednesday league, taking the fourth seed b/c of point differential. So our pool for Saturday is:

Stimulus Package (Big Nate / Sammy's team)
Us
Si Se Puede (Tricky, Tyler)
Premature Huckulation (Damon, PMo, Dustin)

SO... tough pool? Don't know. I joke about playing "Shelbyville" every time out, but I think it applies here. We aren't gonna do crap if we don't get our act together, and who we play is immaterial to that. It's been a harshly up and down season due to personnel issues / injuries, but I really thought we hit a great stride last weel... only to see it fall apart this week. Ah, well. With genevieve and Jack back in action, it should be vastly different. Still, in the back of my mind, I'm dialing it down and just looking forward to having a good time playing three games. Doesn't feel very much like myself, but for sanity-preservation measures, this may be the way to go.

Ah, who am I kidding. I'll be sure to write up my pscyho, out of my head competitive behavior and stellar play after Saturday. The Zorro can pull this off. Wish us luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment