Tuesday, October 5, 2010

The Blurst of Times

Well, the monkey in me will do nearly any task ... but one of those tasks is not, it seems, blogging on any kind of consistent basis.

School is sort of crushing me, time-wise and residual-mental-energy-wise, so I thought that rather than let the Ballad sort of trail off into several measures of rest, I'd at least announce that I'm taking a semi-official semi-hiatus, or at least handing this off to my army of orangs. This probably doesn't amount to a whole lot - I'll still post here and there, but that's basically what I'm doing now, so feel free to observe the unobservable change.

Change you will observe - the album reviews are going to get a lot shorter. No, really, I mean it. I'm spending way too much time on particular albums - e.g., I've been listening to Pink Floyd's The Wall for a solid week and a half now, trying to develop a fresh angle on it - and it's badly interfering with my ability to enjoy my music collection. So screw that - if something bogs me down even in the slightest, I'll give it a snapshot, placeholder, three line review and move on. I'll mark those reviews accordingly in the Album Review Depository, and perhaps some day come back to flesh them out. But for now, time and lack-of-energy plus a desire to, you know, hear some of my tunes, all dictate that the format change.

Otherwise, the trickle of posts may drop to a drip. I still owe a writeup of Sprawl's performance at regionals* this coming weekend, and I'll deliver something in that vein. And I'll very periodically give updates on the Nyetian Narrative** and the state of school***. But for now, I am turning my limited energies elsewhere. 18,263 days, give or take, left on the planet, and I've got to get some stuff done. Apologies and thanks for reading so far - again, I'm not stopping the Ballad, just warning that I'm entering a minimalist composer phase, that's all. Have a good one.

* - the state currently? More trouble with practice attendance, spotty play at practices and SLUGs ... I'm a cynical guy, but I can't say we've looked particularly good lately. That said, it's probably more the doldrums of constantly playing against yourselves more than anything. The fresh competition in Santa Barbara, I anticipate, will bring out the best of us. I.e., I'm excited if not optimistic - we have a tough road, and I know we can do it, but we're going to have to gel like never before. Interested to see if we've done enough to get there.

** - After a good maybe week and a half, my energy crashed right back down again. It's affecting me in all domains, but the last couple of Ultimate practices have been the worst - it's a skipping record complaint at this point, but I'm topped out at 65%, have no second gear to go make plays, am having lots of trouble judging what I can and can't do, etc. Somewhat miserable, but I am pressing through and trying to keep head held high and all that. I really only need to make it six more days (Nationals, honestly, would be gravy personally - obviously I would still want to do well, there, but I'll worry about that bridge etc.), so I'm confident I can buck up and get it done. After that, though, man, the cleats are coming off for a bit. I can't believe I've spent five months now in this two-thirds-of-myself state; it's pretty much interfered with everything in life. So it goes - I'll keep truckin' on. Can't keep a good Nyet down. Or a bad Nyet, for that matter.

*** - Things are, um, concretizing? I'm pretty much officially done with courses after this semester, will be defending my prospectus soon, and then entering the vast wasteland of thesishood. But I have a reasonable plan, an interesting project, and I think I'm making headway. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment