Wednesday, February 24, 2010

3BK-3

Beck and I were back for 3BK's 3rd game against J-Ro / Monika's Pasty Gangstas (we missed last week's matchup with Dhein & the Tighty Whities for Seattle / work, and 3BK got a little demolished in our absence, 15-7 or so). The 3BK squad came out fired up - our team name this week was "Bada Bing Boom Katch," and whatever that means, it's good. Energy abound on D and O, solid play from across the board, and this one was largely over before it began. (It certainly didn't hurt that the PGs were missing Brent and Trant, J-Ro has a broken left hand, etc. - not their best representation). The count went 1,2,3,4-0;4-1; 5,6-1; 6-2; 7,8-2; 8-3;9-3;9-4,5;10,11,12,13,14,15-5. Pretty much all 3BK all the time, even though we were without Tyler and Stefan (who is a little broken in the ankle department for the next week or so). Probably the best feature of the game was that there were numerous heckles of "BORING!," which essentially means we were playing good Ultimate.

I felt pretty great tonight - knee felt awesome during an extended warm-up, got a little, very very slightly sore on my first few throws and sudden cuts in warm-ups, but gave me zero trouble after that - I even jumped a few times without problem. SWEET! Got a couple of layout D's, one a just-make-sure on a poach on Paul, and one a legit run-down and D the first throw full high layout on a new guy (when it was 13-5... I'm a jerk). Otherwise on the personal game it was a lot of the usual - six goals thrown to Lindsey alone (3 hucks, 3 break mark endzone throws), plus one to Mike (after a caught huck from Mark), plus four goals caught (FH huck from Al X 2, hospitally throw from Lee, and upline FH from Lindsey to end it). Got a little silly with the disc at times - put up a high huck to Lee that he didn't track down, a huck to Al where Mike let his guy poach in, and an endzone throw to Beck that Paul poach-D'ed (BOO). Considering those were all "we're way ahead and I want to try this" throws, I'm pretty happy with the evening, especially the part where I was flopping around on D and jumping to catch the last goal without worrying too much about my knee*.

* - Don't get me wrong - still not 100%, and I'm still wearing extra brace-wear to keep it warm. And I don't feel great jumping. But I think the PT stuff is helping quite a bit, so that's cool. I am, on the wise advice of beck, going to skip a tourney this Friday so that I can play Saturday morning in SLUG - playing in both of those would be a mistake, methinks.

The rest of 3BK played great - just tons of hustle, smart decisions, and crispy Ultimate. It was over so quick that it's tough to remember a lot of specifics from the guys - Al played great with some key hucks and a hellacious handblock of Craig. Mark supplied a good dose of speed in Stefan's absence, giving us some solid handling as well. Nick, Mike, Lee and Dave give us a four-headed quite tall beast, and they all brought the D tonight (Jeff did too, he just did so from the under 6'2" school of D). And Matt / Chris handled great, too - just an all around effort. Ashley was a super speedy - just great incuts; she's going to be a very tough secondary matchup for teams. Beck played some good D, though she was feeling a bit gimpy with a leg that is still pulled from two weeks ago. And as mentioned, she made a great cut in the endzone - I stupidly called "iso vet," which just about everybody on the field knew. Ah, well. Pretty unbelievably stupid on my part, as I easily could have said "Iso Lovett" or "Iso Sparkle" or any number of things, but I was trying to pick something I knew no one else on the field was. Ugh. Soy idiota.

So anyways, good, quick, decidedly one-sided game. We have a lot of athleticism / talent and are capable of making some noise. Fun times ahead. 3BK is 2-1 with a +7 point differential.

No comments:

Post a Comment