Monday, April 16, 2007

Weak and Off (But Blessed by Alchemy!)

Sorry for the thunderous silence. I will, per usual, now have to account for the past week in backwards fashion.

Today is Monday, and several thousand morons are running 26.2 miles in the wind and rain in order to prove something about themselves to themselves or someone like them. I kid, I kid. Beck is currently in not-so-sunny (more accurately, windy windy floody floody get those animals up on the arky arky) downtown Natick cheering on the runners in a sparse crowd. She's specifically waiting for our tea/shower-throwing friend Theresa who is racing with the Tufts West running club. So good luck to all of them; I look forward to walking to downtown Natick to stand in the rain and watch people run by. I am sure it will be inspiring and not remind me of the fact that the original runner of the Marathon died immediately afterwards.

I did not do a great job in class today - I am trying to teach in some no man's land about evolution, trying to be detailed enough so that we actually say something of substance but not so detailed that they have to start filling in Punnett squares or anything. You *could* assume that they are familiar with it, seeing as they have all taken this before in biology, but you would be making an ass out of u and mption, and worse you would be wrong. The day is ruled by erratic statements and vague notions; TV teaches them to be inexact. At least that's been my experience. Regardless, my enthusiasm and motivation are waning hard, and I haven't even mentioned the "38th parallel," our contingent of Korean students whose effort level has given them a grade around 38. They sure do make days great - and since I have to bug out a week early for wedding-oriented reasons, I have to get them to pull there averages up (so they can GRADUATE) that much faster. SO, yeah, work is not grand, and my mood and vigor are cowering accordingly. I continue to fail as a human being. Ladies and gents, your melodramatic overreaction of the week...

Okay, it's a few hours later now in this interrupted post. Theresa indeed finished the marathon at about 5 hours, which is way more than I will ever be able to say. Congrats T! The reason for the interruption was a four hour nap I slipped in this afternoon - I felt zonked all day and surrendered my afternoon off in an effort to right the ship before tonight's DANCE LESSON. Which went awesome - the iF is slowly changing her elemental makeup. Pb and (nyet) J. Fun times; we are getting our schwerve on. Lookout Geneseo.

Otherwise I am chilling at home and watching MLB TV, which I finally caved and purchased this weekend. All the baseball games across the country. Nice. This will serve me well when...

We move to Phoenix. In capital B big news, Beck accepted a job in sunny (yes, actually sunny) Phoenix, AZ. It is a dope job, and now we get to live near friends Dan & Christina. Sweet. Not so sweet: leaving New England summer right as it stops being craptastic New England spring (the worst of all seasons) to head into the snarling teeth of summer in the desert. Ugh. We are also selling all of our thick clothes and coats. Not really. Anyhoo, the job was un-pass-up-able, and so we're headed for the Southwest.

I look forward to attending spring training games. I otherwise have ABSOLUTELY NO FREAKING PLANS. In a parallel universe, this does not cause me stress. ASU may be calling. We'll see...

This seems like a good time to start a new post for the past week in review...

No comments:

Post a Comment