Sunday, September 2, 2007

Holding Them Hitless

Tres Exciting! Clay Buchholz threw a no-no for the Sox last night in his second start for a 10-0 win. I caught a lot of it on MLBTV last night, inbetween watching a slew of miscellaneous college football games, a Detroit game, a White Sox game, a DBacks game and the utterly ridiculous but still enjoyable movie Disturbia. Clay had a ridiculous 92 mph low and riding fastball, an apparently baffling changeup and a big, ol' time loopy 12-6 curveball that made the Orioles look pretty silly. Big congrats to the rook, and here's to the Sox staying five games ahead of the Yanks... for the time being. (What's that I smell? Monumental, depression-inducing collapse? For the sake of New England, let's hope that doesn't go down).

With all the sports-watching yesterday, you are probably inclined to think, "hey, the bum got nuthin' done." Which is - UNTRUE! I finished Underworld, review pending, though it may be a while because it's a fairly overwhelming book and difficult to wrap my head around. I'll come up with an angle shortly and add some inanity to the pile of crit out there already. I spent a healthy chunk of time reading reviews and criticism Saturday morning, which led into all kinds of internet forays into the Zapruder film, J. Edgar Hoover, the Baltimore Catechism and other elements of the book. Crazy, time-consuming, but altogether fun. I also started the Primer on Postmodernism, which, though I didn't know this when I checked it out, is a christian evangelical's account of postmodernism in order to tailor evangelical efforts towards modern (nay, postmodern) youth. The summary is good, though I suspect the punchline of the book's end may not be up my alley; we'll see.

The Beck is feeling sick, so we'll probably lay low for the day. I've got hot hot Ultimate this evening - I haven't played for two weeks, so this could be interesting. NEhoo, enjoy the day, and READ.

No comments:

Post a Comment