Saturday, September 6, 2008

The Frisbee Week III: The Inanity of Politics

Full disclosure: this is not original material for The Ballad. I explained the misspelling to my team and did a reasonable job, so I decided I would not reinvent an expression for reinventing the wheel. Here's why we are The Royal WEfnuk:
Regarding the spelling, and feel free to ignore this if you're not interested, but I thought I'd disclose it to the team:

There was a contest for the shirt designs for this year's VOTS league. The choices were between three shirts, one of which was a parody of the french connection logo (fcuk). You've probably seen these shirts; they're black with white or silver lettering that says "fcuk." The parody read "hcuk" on the front and and that was pretty much it; the other two shirts were more traditional pictures of frisbee players and cactus and a phoenix. The "hcuk" design won, but powers that be decided out of hand, sans debate, that vots would not print "that" on a shirt. Pressed for explanation, "it's inappropriate" and "think of the children" were proffered.

So, I found that kind of ridiculous - I mean, sure, the french connection logo can be misread, but if you misread the parody it just says "huck." Obviously the parody is a reference to a "bad word," but I disagree with logic that says that a reference to a reference to a bad word is somehow "inappropriate." And all of this generally goes against Ultimate's hippie roots, free expression and the whole nine. AND there was a shirt last year for a team called "Come From Behind," which to me is more of a direct reference. So there seems to be some inconsistency here.

So when I was thinking of the awful cheers that we'll be doomed to receive with the name "funk" in our name, I started wondering why "funk" is okay but "hcuk" is not. Seems pretty inherent that "funk" is a lot closer to the offensive word than "hcuk" is, but that's just me. And then I thought maybe "fnuk" is even MORE offensive than "funk", since it's a direct reference to the fcuk shirt. Hmmmm. And so, as a form of mild and possibly passive aggressive protest, we're gonna spell "funk" as "fnuk" and see what happens to the children.

Plus, you know, it's just so FNUKY!!!

So that's it. Some people fly to China to protest human rights violations, I misspell team names. We all play our part.
This is what I do in between philosophy articles, btw. I am pretty much a waste of oxygen.

No comments:

Post a Comment