Wednesday, March 3, 2010

3BK-4 : Weekend : 7/8ths of a Nyet

What a friggin' waste of time. Tonight we played Nappi's team "I'm With Coco," a team that had previously been undefeated. But when their top three draft picks didn't show up, the rest of their roster couldn't even begin to pick up the slack. We completely played down to their level and still won 15-3. It's not even worth recounting; sloppy play on both sides, dropped passes, missed hammers, idiotic rushed throws... but the other team was so outgunned that it didn't matter. So we're 3-1, +19, and 3-0, +27 by my dad's rules that we only count games in which the Beck and I are present. (Beck sat out tonight's game in an effort to heal up her hamstring so she can go hiking this weekend, so maybe we're just 2-0, +15. I seriously doubt it's worth keeping track of these auxiliary figures).

I felt okay tonight - left knee didn't bother me too much. I did get really tired, though, for unknown reasons - I may be getting a tad out of shape because of all the not-running I've been doing lately to try to get my joints back in gear. And I may not have eaten enough today (see below).

This weekend was great - I got a lot of work done, but in between all the reading and writing, lotsa fun stuff. Beck and I went to movie and a dinner and a Froyo on Friday (Shutter Island, Tuck Shop, and MoJo - free MoJo* - respectively). I won a free pizza lunch at Sprawl SLUG on Saturday, and later Beck and I had breakfast for dinner (matzah brie, pancakes and bacon, YUM). I met Tuftsbuds Josh and Nicole who were swinging through town with a long layover on a flight from Montana to New York (yes, through PHX) and grabbed brunch at Acacia Cafe, and after that PM watched the gold medal hockey game which was thrilling even if it didn't have the best result. So GOOD TIMES, and the grind back at school this week has been all the more tolerable for it.

* - We go to MoJo a lot, so when I ran into a dude offering free MoJo coupons (value - $12) in exchange for donations to a cause ($5), I didn't blink - this was just a sound investment, as we basically go to MoJo once a week like good little crack addicts. The donation aspect was just gravy on a deal that was clearly worth it. Beck questioned whether I had just made a donation to e.g. Hitler Youth, but I looked it up, and the charity donations were made to the Special Olympics which, last time I checked, does not overlap very much with the neo-Nazi ethos. So I think we're in the clear. AND because I made a five dollar donation for two free yogurt coupons plus two buy one get one free coupons, AND I did it again yesterday, we're effectively getting 12 yogurts for the price of four + $10, or $72 worth of yogurt for $34, which is probably still HELLA OVERPRICED. But it is so good.

So, MoJo aside, I have been trying to keep my calories down since about a week before the end of January and have upped my calorie expenditure as much as reasonable. I was ~200 lbs. at some point last August when I was injured and not playing disc, but even in January I was probably around 188 or so. Long story short, I weighed 173 after physical therapy yesterday, and granted that was after a pretty intense workout and some sweating, but it wasn't *that* much sweating. I feel pretty good, look thin (I think), and it seems to be helping my knees to some extent. So yay! The goal is roughly the 165-170 range, which was about my real playing weight in high school football. And don't worry, I am taking vitamins and lifting weights and generally being smart about not starving myself or anything - the general deal is that I limit calories to 600 or so between breakfast and lunch, then eat something substantial for dinner around 1000 calories or so, and skip snacking during the day (or limit it to 100 calorie doses). This keeps me in the 1600-1800 range on a daily basis, and theoretically I burn through somewhere in the 2400-2800 range each day by just breathing (based on my height, weight, age and general fitness). So add in some Ultimate workouts and quite a bit of time on the bike / elliptical, and that was a pretty big deficit over the course of February. So YAY, I suppose, and hopefully this will help out in the wear and tear department. It remains to be seen whether I will be able to keep up the act when the iP and Nyetfams come to town, but I'll do my best.

Anyways, it may have caught up with me today, as I didn't eat a substantial enough dinner and felt very low energy at Ultimate tonight. It clearly did not matter at all, as our opponents did not entirely show up. But mental note - I am well enough on my way on the weight front, I need to eat a damn clif bar or something before playing. Ugh.

Alright, speaking of, I need to go stretch and ice and get to bed so I can go to the gym before school tomorrow*. Wish me luck - I am pretty excited that i have been able to have a definite goal in mind (lose weight for Ultimate purposes) and it's seemed to motivate me enough to get 'er done. Per usual, not slipping into the "just eat whatever" habits will be key. I have been counting calories, hopefully not in an obsessive way, and it definitely keeps me honest.

* - I am really, really tired, and if anyone wants to convince me that playing frisbee til 10 at night and then going to the gym the next morning at 6 may be a bad idea, I am all ears.

No comments:

Post a Comment