Monday, March 8, 2010

3BK-5 / March Tourism

Make that 3BK-5. Sunday's / this morning's rainfall canceled what would have been a cold and muddy affair against the likes of Griesy and Big Nate. Probably for the better, as Beck and I don't entirely feel up to it, Stefan's still injured, blah blah etc. Besides, I may have wasted all my Dawn-Plus Now With Gries-Fighting Action while finally taking free pizza from his pockets on Saturday. Huzzah*!!! Plus the iPFam has descended upon our abode (!!!), so we have more fun out-hanging to do. It would have stunk to once again make them watch a freezing cold Ultimate game, so hopefully the weather will turn better before next week.

* - Yep, I won my third SLUG scrimmage in a row (3-0 in '10, 7-4 all time) while Griesy lost for the first time in something like 8 or 9 games. Ah, well, all things must pass. Here's an action shot of Griesy in case you don't know to whom I am referring:



Yep, the iPFam is here in full force for their spring vacation - they'll be here for the next few weeks, the Nyetfam is joining us Saturday, Mike NTPB is coming in on Monday - it's the usual March madness here in Sunny Azz. I spent the bulk of the weekend wiping up actual grease, getting the house cleaned and the lawn mowed and all that in anticipation. The study, believe it or not, looks livable, and the various surfaces were dust free at least for a few hours there. Good times.

Beck and I had a great weekend - her last day at work for a week was on Friday, so we time-traveled back to 1950 and hit up the diner around the corner called, appropriately enough, Linda's on Osbourne. Why time-travel, you ask? Well, the 1950s was our best guess as when the decor in the restaurant was established, and there is little doubt that it has gone unchanged since. It's also "the best school lunch you've ever had" fare, with most everything coming straight out of the fat fryer or off the grill with copious butter and or gravy. Not that there's anything wrong with that. It also didn't help that our fellow diners espoused values like "Santa Fe, Mexico, whatever, they're all the same" and, "She ordered San Pellegrino - what a princess!" And reeked of stale cigarettes. After a tasty if bland split meal of fried catfish and country fried steak (when in Rome...), we stepped back into 2010 and grabbed more free Froyo from yours and my favorite place of OMG all time MoJo. Good times! Came home and Beck packed up for her big Saturday trip.

Which was a 12 mile hike in the Superstition Mountains up to Flat-Iron. Beck found a group of fairly die-hard hikers and had been training to made the big trek; she got up at 4:30 (and so did Fred, which means so did I) to leave at 5 to head east out of town. Here's the hike iconic shot:


(Flat Iron is that peak to the far right in the pic). Big, big trip; I spent the morning winning SLUG as referenced, ate lunch, came home and mowed the lawn, and Beck *still* didn't show up for another couple of hours. Intense! She had some quad cramps that hindered her a bit - maybe not a big enough breakfast - and felt like to die at least a couple of times, but required no air rescue and completed the big time hike. Yeah! This resulted in a phone call at 4:45 demanding burgers and / or pizza to replace the lost salt; I decided that my free lunch be damned, we were doing pizza for the potassium benefits, and hit Slice of Sicily for another delicious meal. Beck was fairly conked out during the evening (though she did rally to break our normal rule and hit MoJo for a second time of the weekend. I, incidentally, tried fruit FroYo for the first time - my normal go-tos are chocolate and mint or chocolate and peanut butter concoctions - and I may be a changed human. Seriously, plain yogurt plus Acai (sp?) yogurt plus strawberry shortcake yogurt plus some dark chocolate chips was quite the flavortastic experience), so I spent time cleaning the study - the before / after shots would have been dramatic - until I could watch SNL, which was solid.

I woke up CRAZY early - 4:30 again on Sunday - for unknown though possibly Fred-related reasons, and decided that as long as I was up I would finish the study. So I did, and hung out with Fred / read to start my lazy Sunday. Beck woke up feeling much less sore, so we trekked over to Lola's for our first relaxing Sunday coffee and NYT XWord in a while. Despite the inclusion of "Flow Whistle" as an answer, we did quite well, thanks. Came home to watch an exciting Blackhawks - Red Wings game, do some more reading, and then put the finishing touches on the casa as we waited for the iPFam to arrive. (It poured on and off all day, killing Sunday pickup as well as tonight's game, so I don't really know how I'm going to get my Ultimate fix in the next few days. Ugh). Ate some cheeseburgers / fried potatoes for dinner (Beck still needed to complete the previous day's craving) once they arrived and had a a good time catching up. I was pretty zonked, though, as the consecutive early-risings caught up with me at about 10 and I went into zombie mode. Didn't feel great upon waking up and decided to stay home rather than brave the halls of academia (though I ended up getting a fair amount of work done here anyways).

So far, so good - Fred allegedly did not keep the iPJ and iPMM up, which is a minor miracle, given that she did manage to wake me up at 6 from across the house. It continues to drizzle and be miserable here - very wet and 50 degrees at most today, which is 35 in real degrees according to science. The game cancellation was surprisingly welcome, as referenced. We've been eating some hot food, drinking teas and coffees, and we'll probably grab some dinner out and possibly a movie tonight. I have to get up at 5 tomorrow for some PT and office hours and a full day of the usual - it's not my vacation until next week, when I'll have a pile of midterms to grade, too. Yeehe! In the meantime, fun times, good to see the iPFam, and I'm sure we'll have tales of craziness before the week is out. Though no Ultimate frisbee craziness, a state of affairs I'm not sure I'll be able to handle...

No comments:

Post a Comment