Thursday, July 8, 2010

Sending Our Love Down the (Not) Well

I am seated in the living room with iodined cotton fuzz on both arms, placating the dogs with rawhide chewies and not-really-all-that-eagerly awaiting LeBron's 6 PM announcement. Oh, and I'm celebrating, sort of, the ten year anniversary of the first summer I got certifiably Phish-hooked and followed their tour online on a day-by-day basis. I'm not going to full-on album review the show, but just so you get a proper environmental image, here's the setlist of a show from ten years ago today, a show that was conveniently enough immortalized - more than all of their shows have been immortalized - as Live Phish 05:

Saturday, 07/08/2000 Alpine Valley Music Theatre, East Troy, WI

Set 1: Punch You In the Eye > NICU, My Soul, Poor Heart, Wolfman's Brother, First Tube, Llama, Guyute, Run Like an Antelope

Set 2: Heavy Things, Piper -> Rock and Roll, Tweezer -> Walk Away, Twist, The Horse > Silent in the Morning, Possum

Encore: Suzy Greenberg > Tweezer Reprise


We're in the midst of the instrumental composition "First Tube" right now. This show was a weird selection for the series - there's nothing that really screamed "of your 1000+ shows, you should definitely make this one one of the first six you release officially!" - but they did, and despite the controversy at the time (dooooood, 1994!!!??!?), it's a good representative of a standard show from that summer of 2000. So it's effectively taking me back to happy times with Beck and Zil and driving to Toronto and Ohio to catch Les Boys - ah, memories. I'll give an in-depth take on the whole release at some point, probably in 2047 at the rate I've been reviewing albums recently, but for now, trust that it's a breezy pleasant soundscape on an otherwise 112 degree day.

(Interruption - it's 6:11, and I still don't know where LeBron's headed. Tres betrayal - they said it would be announced within the first 10 minutes! When will I learn?)

Back to the fuzz... as mentioned, I've been feeling intermittently energy-less lately. Well, "intermittently" became "constantly" a little over a week ago - just have been having bouts of a gasless tank at random moments in the day, with my peaks being in, I don't know, the 70% range. Not good - hard to do much of anything for more that ten minutes at a time, and on occasion I get that weird, going to fall over feeling. I'm not dizzy, not feeling faint, don't even really feel week, just feel like I'm dragging badly.

(Miami, btw. Yawn. I suppose this flagrant dis to Cleveland isn't all that yawn, but otherwise, this has been an encapsulation of everything annoying re: ESPN-esque supercoverage).

I'll cut to the chase - docs are pretty convinced I've got mono or valley fever or something of that ilk, so it's something that's more tremendously annoying than it is serious. So no reason for concern - all the appropriate values continue to be normal (after three rounds of bloodwork now), physical exam is normal, yada x 3. The recommended remedy is rest, don't take NSAIDS, and don't push myself to exhaustion in Ultimate or workouts. That last part has not been a problem lately, as this continued bout of low energy was actually somewhat well timed. With the holiday weekend, all things Ulty were canceled last weekend, which has given me a solid twelve days between events. And I've skipped three workouts in a row, too - I'll pay for that later, ugh - but mayhaps all the rest will do my fatigue some good and will have the added bonus of knee relief. This is me being positive about the situation.

Refocusing - I saw the doc for followup today, and he wanted to do a blood culture to rule out anything really strange. And blood cultures require 1, an iodine-sterilized draw, and a lot of blood. So NATCH I got Susie Rookie Phlebotomist. And despite my gigantic, ropey veins, she stuck and stuck and stuck me and hummed her favorite Neil Young tune off Harvest as she bruised the Bathsheba out of my arm. In her defense, the iodine makes skin incredibly sticky, and if the container gets stuck on the skin, the needle is that much harder to navigate. Anyways, she eventually called in Kathy Has-Done-This-Before Phlebotomist, who used another vein on the left arm, and they collaborated to draw a tube from my right arm for a blood culture as well. They put cotton and gauze over all three holes before I got up - purple gauze, so I looked like a mummified Suns player* or something - and when I tried to take it off at home, the cotton stuck all over the iodine. So here he sits, fuzzy was he, and my arms still hurt from the needle swishing. Boohoo, I know.

* - Here's to refraining from making the obvious Steve Nash and lots of bandages joke, which surely would have reminded everyone that I am from San Antonio, home of NBA Champions.

Anyways, just thought I'd give a little health update since I had casually mentioned that I'd been sickly lately. I've been pretty frustrated with this, btw, as the symptoms are all pretty vague and cause me to reflect on how energetic I'm feeling 20,000 times per day. I constantly have to convince myself that I'm not faking, and this is not just some elaborate psychosomatic ploy to get away from workouts. Speaking of, it also feels like the work I've done at the gym is being swallowed up by lethargy, and there's nothing I can really do about it. I want to get my exercise in, but I'm pretty tapped out by just walking the dogs in the morning and doing a little cooking. I've tried to do some pushups just to see if there's any chance I have something for a given day, and around #5 I get predictably woozy. So it seems that all that can be done now is to take 'er easy and try to get some work done from the prone / seated position. Walking from my car to the office has been quite a drag, so I'm going to do stuff from home if at all possible. I do have some Sprawl stuff coming up, so I'll do my best to play a limited amount and not push it too much... which, as you can probably guess, will be quite difficult for me.

Ugh. I suppose there are worse things in the world, but having your vital force sucked out kinda, um, yeah, you get it. So apologies if things have a dragging tone of late, and if I'm at all unkind, trust that it's only my body / not my mind / that is confusing things. Here's to rest and rallying; wish me luck, and hope this spell doesn't cause me to fall even farther behind in my work. It was supposed to be the summer of George, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment