Saturday, July 3, 2010

This is Not a Fun Blog, Vol. 2: The F & V List

"Spinach (I could be convinced to try)." Wait... what? I wrote that?

Beck picked up on this big time the other day, and here we are knee-deep in Spinach Weekend 2010. This is a big step for us; the last time Beck put spinach in my food, it was the centerpiece of a bold-faced lie. She had cooked lasagna, and I had requested "just cheese" or somesuch, only what I got was laced with leafy green-ness. When I asked, "what's that?," I got "basil" as an answer from Ye Olde Ferrous Fiste. Only it turned out I was not a complete moron (or "tastetard," as Ali would undoubtedly have put it), and I could tell that wasn't basil. Such a breech of trust, such a sly move! Beck vowed never to do such a thing to me again, but to this day I wonder - why does this cheese taste funny? And why does my jello not jiggle properly? Is there spinach in there? I fear the devil's leaf!

Until now, of course, when I'm trying to be open-minded and eat new things. I've always prided myself, despite my narrow culinary upbringing, on being willing to try anything at least once, and it seems now that I'm willing to try, try again. The [blank] nutritionist who helped me not at all the other day criticized my diet for not having enough fruits and vegetables, and while this strictly speaking is not true (I eat broccoli and other veggies regularly, and I eat e.g. strawberries, pineapples and apples with the best of them) AND it strictly speaking does not really serve as its own justification as a recommendation (i.e., if I get my vitamins / minerals / fibers elsewhere, then why is it so important to eat fruits? There may be an answer, but "because fruits are good for you" is not it), I thought, sure, I could try a wider variety of fruits and veggies, and besides, maybe there's something out there that I'm just plain missing. So to set out on learning more about fruits and veggies I might like, I compiled a list of F & V that I know I like, know I hate, and am unsure about. The latter category has since been subdivided into "unsure" and "meh" about, but the general idea is the same. Anyways, I e-mailed it to my personal dietician Beck, and she nearly exploded at the chance to forcefeed me spinach of several varieties. And I have to admit, prepared properly, it seems to have jumped from the DO-NOT-WANT taxon to the meh taxon. Which I think is all Beck was hoping for. Actually, you can read all about her delight at her blog, though you'll note her fiendish past is duly censored.

So yeah, good eating times - regarding spinach in particular, we had garlic-drenched spinach the other night and are trying creamed spinach tonight. But I'm getting into all kinds of different things, and it's good to keep track. This should, ftr, shock you. Here's the list, and for your purposes, let me know if there's something I've neglected, something I just have to try in a certain style, or if you feel the need to rush to the defense of onions or something, go right ahead. In the meantime, I'll continue to eat all kinds of craziness and repeatedly stun myself. Check back for updates. Too exciting. Who is this Nyet guy?

Nyet's Official Fruit & Veggie List, 7.3.2010

Approved Fruits:

Apples, Apricots, Cherries, Dates, Figs, Grapes, Kiwi, Lemons, Limes, Mangoes, Nectarines, Pineapple, Plantains, Plums, Strawberries

Meh Fruits:

Blackberries, Blueberries, Cantaloupe, Honeydew, Peaches

Jury Still Out Fruits:

Acai, Avocado (dubious), Berries (Assorted - Currant, Gooseberry, Honeysuckle, Huckleberry, Loganberry, Mulberry, Salmonberry, Wolfberry), Clementines, Coconut, Cranberry, Grapefruit, Guava, Kumquat, Mandarins, Papaya, Passion Fruit, Pomegranate, Raspberries, Rhubarb, Tangerines

Disapproved Fruits:

Bananas (allergy), Oranges (allergy), Pears, Watermelon (allergy)

Approved Veggies:

Asparagus, Broccoli, Broccolini, Carrots, Cauliflower, Corn, Garlic, Green Beans, Jicama, Peas, Potato, Squash, Sweet Potato

Meh Veggies:

Spinach

Jury Still Out Veggies:

Beets, Black-Eyed Peas (dubious), Bok Choy, Chick Pea, Chicory, Parsnip, Radish, Rutabaga, Soybean

Disapproved Veggies:

Broccoli Rabe, Brussels Sprout, Cabbage, Celery, Collard Greens, Kale, Leek, Lettuce, Lima Bean (I almost need a separate list of hatred for this one), Okra, Onion, Peppers (Bell & Otherwise), Tomato, Zucchini

No comments:

Post a Comment