Wednesday, March 22, 2006

More dinner with Ben & Ali, Ill-advised UV commentary

Back in school, not terribly exciting. The students all went to their various sunny destinations over the two week break, and some came back very, very tan. In stark contrast to, say, the ones who went home to Minnesota. Which prompted the following excellence from one of my non-tan students:

"Damn, every one came back looking all Mexican."

Don't worry, investors in the future of America, racial sensitivity training is being ordered as we speak. One of my tanner students answered a question with, "Like, negative infinity" later on, so apparently there's no correlation between "spring break sun exposure" and "idiotic quips." Just kidding, Walnuts, you know I love you guys. Not that any of you are actually reading this. Somewhere, a felled tree is crying.

Tuesday night was excellent; Ben and Ali came over for a Beck-cooked dinner which was, by definition, excellent: pistachio encrusted chicken, baked baby carrots, potatoes and broccolini, spinach soup, and in the store-bought category, a fruity cake and some bread. Excellente. And Ali & Ben once again won my heart with a bottle of desert wine that was divine (I have sweet wine issues, so unless you want your Manishevitz drained, don't invite me over for seder). And it was an awesome time. Actually, let me wax on this a second - I had a moment of, well, not so much panic as introspective hilarity when I realized that this was the equivalent of a couples' second date. We had such a great time Friday, how could we follow that up? And we used all of our great go-to jokes, like Rebecca's ping pong ball head and my aversion to vegetables. So there was a lot of pressure here, arrrrrrrrggggggg... no, not really. I did have that funny thought, but then we just had another excellent evening, three hours shooting the breeze, talking Ultimate AND it turns out, as it usual does in our hilarious universe, that Ben and Beck like to cook whereas Ali and I listen to music with a passion. So thank (yes, they're Jewish, too) Hashem that things ended up the way they did - we were one cosmic coincidence from a well-fed but boring couple and a starving folk duo. Sometimes things work out for the best. Also, Ben told one of the best Ultimate-related jokes I have heard in quite some time involving veterinarians and snakes. I am 100% busting that out on the fields this summer.

Just a second on the music - between Emmy getting giddy over Bobby D. and Ali jamming to the Dead in the past few days - I don't know, it was just good to see some genuine love for music out there. In all, completely unironic honesty, it made me smile.

So yeah, a good Tuesday, a good Wednesday just me and Beck and leftover lasagna from the weekend, and a good Thursday - we just met the pathology rotation for a tanned, I mean Mexican dinner in Worcester. Good, hilarious times, and I think that the golden pathology group may get extended another couple of days with poker on Sunday.

And tomorrow, despite claims that this website fulfills all their Grafton news needs, Ma & Pa Searl (aka iPJ and iPMM) are paying us a visit for Weekend Medicine Veterinarian Parents Cummings de School Tufts of. FUn times are a LOCK. We will probably head back to the gallery in Upton, which will be awesome.

In other news - I did something to my ankle (when, I don't know), and it pinched a nerve posterior to the medial malleolus. So my 2nd and 3rd toe are numb and I've got this odd foot asleep sensation all along the ball and instep of my foot. Strange - and doc says to lay off it for a couple of weeks. So the sun rises, sets, and my ankles sprain. Get sprained. Whatever. Frustrating in that it will delay the start of Ultimate training a little bit. D'oh.

On the plus side, we played Math Frisbee today - kids stood in a circle and had to call out the angle in radians before they threw to the next person. It's no Bing, but it took advantage of the nice weather. And maybe they even learned a little bit.

Oh, no: No.

No comments:

Post a Comment