Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Reviews, Mainly.

The Last Picture Show
No Excuses: Existentialism and the Meaning of Life

Check out those reviews if you're interested; I watched and wrote about The Last Picture Show last night when I couldn't sleep. No Excuses was a lecture series by a philo prof at UT about Existentialism; I got the lectures-on-iPod from Scott for my birthday a while back and have been intermittently listening to them over the past couple of months. I actually enjoyed it enough to listen again, though I think I'll go backwards this time. For some reason, doing that seems to help me remember things - front to back adn then back to front. probably something to do with the primacy effect. Or something. This is nothing short of fascinating.

The National League is leading the AL 2-1 right now in the 5th; I'll throw in an update between these parentheses (Update - The NL lost 3-2 with a blown save in the ninth) once I know how it turns out. Raise your hand, btw, if you're sick of "The AL is so much better than the NL" comments. Seems to me like "the AL Central and Boston are bad-ass" is a more accurate statement; in fact, if you take out the White Sox, Detroit, Minnesota and Boston, things start to look a lot more even. Meaning that hey, the best teams in the league happen to be in the AL right now. I'll grant you that. But the "NL as junior varsity" line of logic is just stupid.

I've run/jogged about 9 miles altogether the past few days and my foot has hurt quite a bit but has held together. So hopefully on Thursday I'll find myself on an Ultimate field. Otherwise, today was slow - played a lot of guitar, wrote a bit, things are moving. Really this blog entry was to point you in the direction of the reviews. And to bitch about the All-Star Game. Did I mention my faves Tim McCarver and Joe Buck are lowering the collective IQ of the planet on the air tonight? Well, now I did.

Oh - just a thought - I graded two great albums today, Portishead's Dummy and The Streets' A Grand Don't Come For Free. The first is trip-hop classic originally recommended to me by my mom on the basis of an NPR review; the latter is a British Hip-Hop concept album. Good stuff. 'Tsalligot.

No comments:

Post a Comment