Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Odometry II

So this particular post got lost in the mix: the Monday before our trip was our one year anniversary. We had an excellent dinner at a little place called The White Chocolate Grill, where the most outstanding feature is that they have their desserts listed first on the menu. It seems life is uncertain there. Great white-chocolate themed items, and for the main attraction I downed a plateful of ribs and some of the best garlic mashed potatoes I've had in mi vida. Excellente! And it was a great evening spent in the course of about 360 evenings (she, you know, went to the Grand Canyon and stuff) spent with my chica bonita over the course of the last year. Huzzah.

So we talked during dinner about the course of the previous year, and by all accounts, things are going well. I don't want to wax past-tense here ("a year ago I had no idea what I'd be doing in Phoenix," etc.), but there has been a long list of accomplishments over the past año, not the least of which are Beck's progressing into a thoroughly great veterinarian and my own feet planting in an actual career that may give some semblance of a sense of accomplishment, meaning, etc. So that's good.

This post probably would have been good to complete in the more immediate temporal vicinity of the dinner itself, as now I think it's lacking the punch that the actual dinner conversation had. It's just easy to get caught up in the day to day, and I think we did a fine job making our anniversary more about reflection and appreciation than cards / gifts. And ribs, we also covered ribs.

(Btw - thanks to everyone who called to wish me happy anniversary in a thinly veiled effort to ensure that I would not forget to tell Beck. After back to back wedding ceremonies that invoked some serious 1950s husband-wife humor - do you take this woman, please - I am glad to know that my immediate family suspects the same traditional masculine ineptitude out of me. Gracias).

No comments:

Post a Comment