Tuesday, July 8, 2008

42 bpm, or, Slow Jamz

So I have an anomalous radial artery - it doesn't sit in the groove as its supposed to, kinda winds over to the side of my wrist instead. This leads to hilarity a la the following:

PA: Hi, I'm X_______, I'm just going to do some preliminary work for your checkup today. The doctor will see you shortly.
NJ: Hi X________. Thanks.
PA: First, I'll just take your pulse real quick.
NJ: I should probably tell you that my radial art...
PA: OH MY GOD!!! YOU HAVE NO PULSE!!! CODE BLUE!!! THE PATIENT IS DEAD!!!!
NJ: No, it's actually just that...
PA: OH MY GOD!!! THE DEAD PATIENT IS TALKING!!!! THE DEAD PATIENT IS A ZOMBIE!!! HELP!!!!

Etc.

So I was sitting at Tutorcorps yesterday with my hands folded, waiting for a student to finish a timed test section, and had inadvertently placed my fingers on said anomalous artery. And i noticed: thump (long pause) thump (long pause) thump. Strange. I took my pulse (don't worry folks, I'm *trained* in this) and it was 41. Took it again and it was 43 - again and it was 42. Woah! A little freaky - "normal" is 60 or so - so over lunch I drove to the trusty blood pressure machine at the grocery store to check it again. BP normal, but indeed, pulse 42. I mean, I've always had a slowish pulse, but more like 52. So if you know what this means, um, let me know.

I am apparently unexcitable these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment