Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Ultimately at Ends of the Spectrum

Laaaaaast Nite: Sprawl finished its months of preparation with the last practice before Regionals this weekend. While we weren't entirely perfect - still a few kinks here and there - it was our lowest turnover night in I don't know how long, and the offense was clicking a LOT better. Lots of give and gos, lots of hitting deep cuts easily because they were coming from the opposite side of the field, and a seriously crispy endzone offense - we were playing "double score," a drill where you scrimmage and have to follow scores with a score from your set endzone O, and I don't really remember a time were we turned it from within our static set. Nice! Hopefully that's more OUR O than our lack of D :). I personally had zero turns on the night despite handling the whole time and hucking several times. So we're going in to the weekend at something resembling a high point, and hopefully we can cash it in. Here are the pools as of tonight:

Or.. not. Well, they were there earlier tonight. maybe people are bailing or taking the open spots. Anyways, as of this afternoon, we were seeded 4th in our pool with Johnny Bravo taking the top spot. It's going to be exciting regardless; no chumps in our house this weekend, are there dear, so it's going to be all big games all the time. I'll continue to fill you in.

Tonight's the Night: Another exercise in futility from Confessions of a Huckaholic. Alan was out of town, Nipar was gimpy, and with limited firepower we resorted to trying to subsume the Connole-led squad with an all-throws-deep-to-Nyet-all-the-time-plan. It worked out for a little while, actually - caught a bunch of goals deep, threw a few, and we stayed close throughout and took it all the way to 12-12. Still, we just lack firepower - no one could keep up with freakin' Gus, for pete's sake, and we got worked by the other team's give and gos and relative patience. The game ended on a crappy blade from Kid Connole - I sprinted 40 yards across the field for a big, over the top lay-out D on Allyson, but at the last second, Tanya stepped right between us. In a flash, I abandoned the layout plan, sidestepped to avoid Tanya (I still bumped her, but managed not to crush her as would have happened had she undercut me on the layout as it seemed was about to happen), and took a swipe at the disc as I faded off to the side. I got a hand on it, but Allyson reached up and grabbed it tight with both hands for the "goal." I say that because I bumped Tanya, Tanya bumped Allyson, and even though A ended up maybe a foot inside the endzone, it certainly wasn't crystal clear that's where she was when she landed. I was getting up to say nice catch and check the line when she spiked it - yeah, love the fire, but again, not really an obvious case of being in. So I gave a joking "not in" call that didn't go over entirely well. My bad. It was a nice catch, though I am 100% positive that those who give me the "you play to win at all costs" business all the fricocktin' time would never notice that I didn't lay out and get a sure D in deference to not even taking a chance at landing on a teammate (who, by the way, ran in from behind me). I mean, yeah, that's an accomplishment on a sort of Chris Rock "you're supposed to take care of your kids" level, I shouldn't be taking chances on crushing little ladies, but it's the sort of thing I do routinely - and it's not easy to abort mid-lay out - and no one's ever gonna say anything or even notice it. Wah, wah, I know, but seriously, there's only so much oblivious commentary I can't take from people who don't grasp what it means to always respect the competition, always play at full speed and still manage to control the chaos.

So blah, blah, another loss in something that is quickly devolving into a who-cares season. But the HIGHLIGHT OF THE NIGHT - coming out of a timeout, we called isos for our two women players, Beck coming down the open backhand side and Jackie coming down the break side. I flipped Beck a longish (20 yards?) backhand, and she ran all the way through and grabbed the disc in the front left corner for the score! Ah, the love connection. Tres exciting. So we're spreading the disc around and people are having fun, even if we may never win another game. We just lack, lack, lack firepower, and I'm trying to keep spirits up, but it's tough for me and my poorly programmed mind. AH, well. I will take comfort in a Sprawl-feat this weekend.

On an entirely unrelated side note - Baseball Tonight is playing in the background for this, and they just showed a play where Joe Mauer reached into the stands, a fan battled him for the foul ball, the ball *clearly* hit the fan in the hands, and then Mauer grabbed it off the ricochet. Ump rules it's an out. Um, isn't the fan part of foul territory? Are there no rules anymore? Is this not bowling, but 'Nam?

No comments:

Post a Comment