Sunday, October 25, 2009

Good Times Hat Tourney

Played in a charity hat tourney yesterday in west-ish Phoenix. Somehow, despite the allegedly random-according-to-skill-level team assignments, I ended up teamed with Cole, Kaetlynn, Nicole, Cisco, Clint, Brian, Tim from my league team... a little (lot) unfair. We rolled through the tournament, going 3-0 and winning 13-5, 13-6, and 13-7. We had a blast and even managed to sneak in some Dino style points. Beer may or may not have been involved. Good times. The event raised money for Breast Cancer Research (at about 60 x $15 plus donations, roughly $1000) so in typical mature Ultimate culture fashion, all of the team names were plays on terms for breasts. So, sans ado, your FIRST ANNUAL ULTIMATE CHALLENGE AGAINST BREAST CANCER CHAMPIONS, the lovely "Booby Call:"

IMG_6994

As you can see, a goofy crew that was up for some good times and great disc. Special props to Kaetlynn's ridiculous butterfly-princess-anime-nightmare costume and Cole's attempt to squeeze into a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle designed-for-an-eight-year-old onesie (he's still got the shell on above). I've mentioned Cole before; he's a superstar young athlete from ASU (though I think he's graduated) who definitely amped up the screw-around factor yesterday. E.g., he ended the day by nutmegging a guy for a score to me. For the uninitiated, that means he threw it through the guy's legs and quite cleanly, an absolute laser backhand, as though he were not there. The antics-side of Ultimate is always a little grey area, particularly if you start doing it when you're up big - are you having fun and goofing, or showing people up? In Cole's defense, he did it pretty much from the get-go, all day long, so it's hard to call it malicious. Still, I don't think the nutmeggee will be sending Cole a Xmas card this year.

I had a pretty good/okay day with some layouts, skyes, Ds and hucks and the usual. 'Twasn't very serious at any point, so it was difficult to stay focused. I definitely dropped a long forehand huck from Cole that came in right along the sunline to me at about 4:00. That stunk; I was operating with the blast-shield down and looked appropriately dumb. But I had one rather nice layout / toe-in grab at the back of the endzone on a lasered throw in the first game, and I actually got a D in the air on a guy who's a good 6 inches taller than me. He goes by the moniker "Big Nate" - I'm sure I've mentioned him here before - and it's appropriate because he's named Nate and rather tall/large. It's easy to confuse "Nate" and "Nyet," so I have taken to calling myself "Nyet the Lesser" in Phoenix Ultimate circles. He's one of the few guys (at 6'6" and ~240+ lbs) that I bounce off of on contested grabs - it turns out "the Lesser" is relative. Anyways, we've gone up in the air for discs a number of times, and he (for obvious reasons) comes down with them the majority of the time. But *this* time, with the shutter clicking, I got a good beat on a not-high-enough disc and made the D. Please ignore the apparent 6 inch vertical leaps involved here; I am sure that aspect was photoshopped. We were sooooo up there, I was feeling atmospheric oxygen effects. Do enjoy the synchronized Nate/Nyet action, though; Nate's a good bud of mine, and this is a fun shot:

Hat Tourney Skying

I definitely got it; my hand is cocked back in the shot just before I batted it away. Thanks to Stephen for snagging this photo; cool stuff. And again, this was a total rarity; I'm really glad there aren't 19 other photos showing Nate calmly grabbing the disc two feet above me.

Props to ted, too, for putting on an excellent, fun tournament. Looking forward to next year already!

UPDATE: Cole's awesome costume:

Coleback

colefront

No comments:

Post a Comment