Sunday, October 18, 2009

Programming Note

So, just to update an item from several months ago, I made the decision to skip the Phish Festival 8. Too much cash, too much crowd, too much other school work going on in and around the dates of the shows. If some Fairy Godmother of Awesomeness were to drop the necessary cash and tickets on me in the next couple of weeks, I could see myself instantly revising this decision, but barring that sort of miracle, I think I've resolved just to enjoy the shows in post-event, download-from-the-internet medium in the comfort of my own home. Sadness, I know, rendering life a random lottery of meaningless tragedy and near escapes this way, but I really think this is the way to go.

Still, the Phish bug is biting - they've been "counting down" to the festival in a way with a display over at phish.com that features about 100 different albums they claim they might cover, eliminating one at a time in ghastly fashion. It's a pretty cool animation; I highly suggest checking it out. The display has all kinds of goofy examples - a Hall & Oates album, Huey Lewis, Beastie Boys, Appetite for Destruction, the Pork Tornado album, etc. - none of which are real possibilities. Word on the street is that there's a short-list of major contenders:

The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust & the Spiders From Mars: Yeah, this is eminently do-able and in line with the general "cover a classic album" tradition. Plus it's a fantastic disc. A little guitar-heavy, maybe, so it might turn into a Trey show, but you'll get no complaints from me there. Plus these songs BEG for jams, so that's a plus.

Thriller: Sorry, this strikes me as preposterous. Trey can't sing "Free" anymore, let alone "Billie Jean." I sincerely hope this doesn't happen. Plus it would be a little played given recent hoopla, yes?

The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway: This is a Genesis prog classic and again, is in the band's wheelhouse. Big and intricate, so it would require every member, which is cool; on the other hand, it's 1:30+ long, and so tightly composed that it would more or less forbid improv. I'm pretty neutral here.

Hot Rats: Probably my favorite Zappa album, Phish already covers its signature tune ("Peaches in Regalia") and the extended, complex jams/time signatures/ improv chops required are right up their alley. Approved!

London Calling: Somewhere in the back of my mind, I long ago thought this would be the front runner. All of the albums that Phish has covered have featured varied styles (with the possible exception of Remain in Light), and LC certainly fits that bill. Jammable songs, showcase spots for all the members... it seems so perfect that it's virtually guaranteed they won't choose it.

Exile on Main Street: The Stones blues raunch would be good if a little Trey-heavy, and they already cover "Loving Cup." Another great album, though not necessarily my first choice.

Anyhoo, that's just a taste, they have a habit of picking left-field numbers, so waiting to see is probably the appropriate move here. In honor of the upcoming Halloween shows though, I am going to rearrange the reviewing queue and hit some of their Halloween albums - I coincidentally did Quadrophenia recently, so that's already covered, so to speak. I'll try to hit RiL and Loaded in the next couple of days, and if I get really inspired I'll give The Beatles and DSotM* a shot, though no guarantees on those two as they are two of my all-time favorites and deserve more than a rush job. So that's the programming note - expect some ARs of excellent albums in the next few days. And Fairy Godmother, if you're out there... ah, I should probably work on my ethics paper. :(

* - Speaking of, I learned recently that The Flaming Lips are going to be covering Dark Side for an iTunes release? Hmmm... that had better be one serious reimagination, dudes, lest you be aping your wacky east coast brethren. Just sayin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment