Thursday, October 15, 2009

Regionals (Before I Forget)

Really having trouble finding time for Regionals talk, and the memories, like fingerpaints, are slow-ly-fad-ing. So here's a personal account of highlights*, followed by some team level commentary:

* - So sue me; it's easier to remember my plays, okay?
  1. Against Sweet Roll, get a fish-cut pass up the line that floats out in front of me about seven yards outside the endzone... I time it, jump, catch the disc and long-jump-style extend my feet. My cleats come in just past the line for the goal - tres exciting.
  2. Against Strike-Slip, first point, grab a backhand to the sideline, look up, see EBay settled in behind a poach, and hit him with a 20 yard upwind scoober for the score. SWEET!
  3. Later against SS, down 12-11 - Rob catches a disc on the forehand sideline; I cut past my guy for the upfield flick. Rob floats it right between us, chest high. We both run, both layout, collide mid-air and come down in a heap... only I've got the disc! GOAL!
  4. Down 13-12 against SS, Vince gets the disc on our own goal line and sends a forehand to me that bounces way up into the air. I jump as high as I can and blindly shoot my arm up above my head - and CATCH the disc with the very tips of my thumb and forefinger. Come down with it, Dixon is streaking deep, so I fire a big upwind flick to him, completed at the goal line. Time out!
  5. We run our timeout play, no go, so Dixon dumps to Josiah. I streak across the endzone with my guy a yard off me. Josiah puts it high, I step in front of my guy as he lays out into my back and hold on for the score. Tied! YEAH! (We lost on a Defensive double game point... boo!)
  6. (The Condors game was pretty bad all around; I had a huck to Stoli I think, but nothing particularly special. Let's just fastforward to Sunday, shall we?)
  7. Against Monster, cut to the front left corner and someone (?) floats it in there. Poach comes off and is screaming at me, but I jump in, take the hit, and catch the goal. Boo-yay.
  8. Monster is running an aggressive zone against us as we're headed straight upwind. The mark is basically doing things to my leg one shouldn't do without having paid for an expensive meal first, so I pivot to my backhand. He is in the process of hacking me, so I take the "free pass" and fire a big upwind backhand huck to Justin D. Gets us out of the endzone and leads to an upwind goal (same guy molesting me, and I break him for a score to Skunk).
  9. Monster throws an up-the-line cut; I poach off and SKY everybody for the disc, running over my teammate in the process. Oops. Flip to BP who... throws it into a poach. Ugh.
  10. Justin catches the deep pass, I'm his trailer - I make three sharp S-fakes and curl back to JD's forehand. My much faster, more athletic defender gets completely lost in the veteran jukes, and Justin lightly tosses a forehand that I run under and corral to set up double game point. And we win on a pass from Dixon to Stoli after a turn. Huzzah!
  11. Against Condors Part Deux - wind is still howling, and after catching a strike-flip pass, I LAUNCH one of the better throws of my life, a full field up (strong) wind backhand to Dixon. He runs it down, semi-lays out for the catch / goal and is so excited he "spikes" it by chucking a hammer into the air. Nutso! Very exciting, and seriously, given the wind conditions, one of the best BHs of my Ultimate life.
  12. I got guarded by sick fast dudes all game in this one, but managed to get open on all kinds of dumps and swing cuts. On one, I caught the disc in stride headed up fielded, planted my left foot and went into a deep lunge to fire an upwind flick past Justin's defender to his waiting endzone hands. Defender calls travel (dubious! video replay shows NO TRAVEL). No matter - disc tapped in, Justin clears, Rob makes the exact same cut - and i fire the exact same forehand for a second goal. Laughter ensued.
  13. Someone threw a dump a little too close to a poach who came off and laid out right at my chest. I didn't back down, caught it, and took him like a president-bound bullet, square between what would have been the numbers. Dude goes down in a heap and immediately starts screaming; I was worried he'd broken a vertebrae. No, just cramping - we helped him out and off the field. Not really a highlight, more just weird, but that was one of the more violent collisions I've had on the field in a while and I brushed it off like nothing. Bizarre, as the guy wasn't exactly tiny. Maybe Texas Football taught me something after all. (Just call me All Stet Nyet).
  14. And for the last one - my guy is defending me with his arms, giving me love taps all the way down the field. The last one is a little egregious, so I finally call a foul. He contests claiming he "had position" (?), and so we start afresh. I fake up field, he tries to step in my way, I step around/behind him, give a big head fake and head the opposite direction. He chases the head fake badly, and I am all by my lonesome as Rob tosses it three yards for the score. Still got it, at least on occasion.
Okay, bragfest over; you can tune back in. Overall, it was the best I've felt about going 1-4 (11-14, 13-14, 7-15, 14-13, 12-14) at a tourney; we hit a new level for sure at this tournament, staying competitive with some very solid teams, and it's certainly a big improvement over last year's squad. So a good foundation for the upcoming years - hopefully I'll stay more intact over the next few seasons (until i turn 33, of course, when it's MASTERS time and I can feel "young" again). Some individual notes:

Scratch that; I suddenly got a huge wave of tired. Instead, I'll list our POTT (player of the tournament) accompanied by the (POTW) play of the weekend, which is hopefully on video somewhere. Congrats to Justin D. - ran around like a crazy man all weekend and came up with innumerable huge plays. Audible "That guy's catching all their goals! / He has to get tired eventually, right?" comments from other teams. Had a ton of cutting highlights, deep-going highlights, etc., but the easy Play-of-the-Weekend was his silly-sick bookends in the 2nd Condor game - flying tsunami style layout D, runs deep for the forehand huck score. Sick, and right in front of his parents taboot! Great play all weekend. Nice work, homes.

Man, I just crashed and feel bad that this is getting the short shrift. I am very proud of Sprawl and the move that's occurred over the past year. I believe the next stop is NYF 2010, so we'll get back on the horse with some competitive scrimmaging before too long. In the meantime, great season, and here's to coming through on a few more double game points next time around.

Pave the World! Sprawl.

No comments:

Post a Comment