Tuesday, December 1, 2009

It's So Easy (Being Green)

Back in the saddle for a Men's Competitive League double-header tonight, and despite the slump of late, the green crew and I pulled out two wins, 15-12 (vs. Keith, John Miller, Cole et al.) and 15-7 (Garret, Rob, Alex et al.). We've got a solid team top to bottom - Dixon, Tom, and I form the core of experienced players, Eric, Gus, Dave, and "Tank" give us another set of hands, a lot of well-wheeled runners join the fray (Will, Ryan, Clay, and Dan) and big deep target 6'9" Kyle rounds out the roster. Keith keeps insisting that we're the favorites for this little 5 game regular season mini-league; we'll see. Another double header pops up Thursday; hopefully the knees and I can survive. I've also got a tourney in Tucson this weekend, so... yep, lots of December Ultimate to be played. Take that, Boston!

Oh, and ftr, I played well, missed Dixon on one huck (overthrew him by a tad), but otherwise hit a lot of dudes with deep shots, even getting a couple of big hucks off against a Cole flat mark which is pretty lucky on my part, methinks. Made a couple of Ds on deep cuts - I'm still feeling a bit sluggish out there, so I'll continue to fight the battle of in-shape-ness vs. knees. Anyways, yeah, had a silly highlight catch of a footblocked pass, hit my dudes, made some cuts, good times. The usual.

The Ultimate fun capped a busy day in which I prepared for and delivered a prospectus presentation. I'm running out of gas here on this short post, but suffice it that it went well - I crammed a ton into 18 minutes and got some good feedback from some friends in attendance (who, incidentally, seemed to be the only two people paying attention. Other than the prof, who I'm sure will give me some feedback in the near future). This was kinda a big deal, as it was the culmination of trying to get my project a bit more focused / grounded to satisfy certain departmental whims requirements. Things are looking good, though a ton of work looms. NEhoo, I am most proud that I successfully worked in my best pop reference of my short career - the prof in question has a habit of aggressively responding to presentations with "So What?!?," so I had an entire slide prepared for that inevitable question featuring the cover of Miles Davis's Kind of Blue. I didn't really mention it, but at least one person in the audience got the joke. A wild success, given how my last big "clever" lecture joke went over.

So that was a bit of a load off - I have one big thing left to do for the semester, but after that I just need to get a readin' until things pick back up for the spring semester. So Huzzah! Here's to hard work and maybe a couple of seconds to review some albums or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment