Thursday, December 17, 2009

Suffering Suckitude


Not so easy, after all - our team discombobulated tonight and got its collective ass handed to it 12-6 by the same red team we crushed Tuesday night. Studer was absent, so was Gus, and that left us with few handlers. I had a very frustrating night as they set out explicitly to stop my hucking, which is fine - I still got some off - but we couldn't take advantage of the easy breaks that allowed (no one cut all night! wha?), and worse, a ton of our new players zoned into our downfield throws, as opposed to the good dumping and swinging we've been using. So I spent a ridiculous amount of time running behind the play, looking for dumps only to be ignored and un-utilized. Throw in some turfed flicks, throw in some good handling / possession play by our opponents, and we got totally smacked around. It was 8-1 at half - completely embarrassing, stupid, etc., and I don't entirely feel all that bad about it* - I played some relatively tough D, got all my throws on spot, even if people didn't always cut accordingly and/or catch them. Just a pitiful showing, and we got rightly tossed out in the semis.

* Actually - and this is a following morning update - I keep mulling over what I could have done to help us more, but wpcts, we had a ton of people turning the disc, dropping the disc, and generally not being aggressive or smart or in really any way good. BP and Trant played some good D and made me work, but way too many times I came down field open and teammates couldn't get throws off, or when I did get the disc turned upfield to get no cuts. I'm still left with this crappy feeling that I wasn't able to ratchet it up and take over, but I suppose I just gotta let it go - it was a bad night, some people didn't make some plays, and that's about that.

I worked out some of the ya-yas in a consolation game where many people had left / not shown up, so we ended up playing a bit of pickup. Cole went into all-out goof mode, which was equal parts hilarious and impressive - he nutmegged people, threw crazy no-look goofy-handed backhand scoobers, and generally made a mockery of his competition with full-on antics. I laid out for one of his super-crazy throws, drawing many a cheer. Good way to end an otherwise terrible Ulti-day - I suppose I got in a nifty 11 game winning streak there, so All Things Must Pass and all that. So it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment