Wednesday, April 14, 2010

3BK-9

Bing Bing Bing Kablowski rounded out the season with a 15-10 win over a team that didn't even know the meaning of its own name, Black Smoke Monster*. That puts us at 6-3 with a +29 point differential and a 6-1 in-conference record, good for the 3rd seed in our pool. Our pool play opponents will be the Monday night 2 seed (Cisco's "Your Dad") and 7 seed (Tim's SupercalaHuckalicious-withD-alaPoaches) and Wednesday night's 6 seed (FIGJAM), setting up the predicted epic battle between the Wednesday acronym teams, now with Keith. Exciting times ahead.

* - The Cheer:

Some people like Beethoven
Some people like Bach
There's one thing we know
You're not the real John Locke!

The Response:

[Crickets]

I'll spare Genevieve the suspense and reveal that I tested the knee out tonight, and while I was not at 100%, it got better as I played and overall performed pretty well. So I *should* be good to go for this weekend, though 1, I'll know better after I see whether it flares up again after tonight, and 2, playing a whole tourney is a whole lot different than playing for an hour and a half, so I'll need to be careful. I'm surprised that it went so well tonight; it felt crappy earlier today, but I realized that really, the times it has been feeling the worst have been after I have been sitting still for a long time. So I think there is still fluid in the joint, but when I work the knee, it acts like a pump and gets at least some of it out of there = I feel much better. So I'm going to continue to ice it like crazy, but I'll add in some quad pumps and exercises throughout the day as well as some low resistance bike riding at the gym the next couple of days to keep the fluid out as much as possible. So, all systems are tentatively go for now, with the caveat that if I get the slightest bit uncomfortable this weekend, I will shut down the machine. So G, say YAY!

Back to the game - Black Smoke featured Pat, Jim, Jose, Volo, Steve, Kaysie, Lexi, Matt, Ted, Kelly, and some other people (most of whom, interestingly, did not show up, leaving them with pretty much all-experienced lines). They came out firing, but then things kicked into gear... here's the line score:

0-1,2,3; 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8-3; 8-4; 9-4; 9-5,6; 10-6; 10-7; 11-7; 11-8; 12,13,14-8; 14-9,10; 15-10

Yep - after starting things down 0-3, we went on an 8-0 run, coasted for a bit, then went on a 3 point run (including some zone shreddage) toward the end that effectively put the game away. We had a very full team there, so it was quite nice to see everyone really running, making hard cuts and D'ing well. They had several experienced players who did some good poachy things against us, so I did a lot more cutting than usual and made them pay. I caught 7 and threw 4 this week, a pretty much direct reversal of last week - again too much, which could hurt us come pool play time as I will have to dial it back for a full day of disc, but they were being a little veteran crafty and the opps were there, so I took them. Some nice jumping catches and a layout grab of a too far out Lindsey backhand were some highlights, as well as a couple of full-fielders to Lindsey and Matt. Lindsey abused their women pretty well, so not only did they try a Z against us, but they put Ted on her at one point - I was definitely tempted to put it to her anyways and see what would happen, but we solved the "switcheroo" defense fairly easily. Beck was back out there tonight - she's still feelinga bit sore, but was able to run around the field much better for the first time in a few weeks. So the Jones household is almost back to full strength.

Anyhoo, we got some good running from our whole team, took some nice deep shots, worked it well against the Z, and people filled in nicely when the hucks weren't there. Pretty solid effort all-around - not too many bad turns I can remember, just some drops (and one stupid too-weak hammer from me that got D'ed by Pat - I had that and a punt-huck that just sailed a little too wide, but otherwise was pretty well feeling it). Pretty good way to roll into the playoffs, but per usual, we shall see.

I definitely was a little aggro tonight, though in a contained fashion - didn't yell at anyone or anything, but definitely danced with the hatestick a little bit. I'll chill that out for this weekend, but it definitely felt good to get revved and out there running for the first time in a week instead of sitting on the couch or sidelines. Speaking of, I've got ice applied for the third time tonight, so hopefully things will hold together.

Sorry if this was a bit of a boring writeup; we just played a nice, energetic game, and I brought it a little bit. Uoma Donna this weekend should be super-exciting; I'll try to hold it together - at least for some O points...

No comments:

Post a Comment