Monday, June 5, 2006

Sam Cooke says...

Come gather 'round people wherever you roam...

Expect some deltas on ye olde Nyet Jones site in the not too distant future. Nothing drastic; it just seems that certain things (site updates, gossipy news, etc.) are more of a pain to keep track of than anything else. It'll be much easier to keep track of things in one place, so I'll put any new developments, announcements, gossip, etc., in a section at the top of ye olde blog. Concise, streamlined, a veritable Walmart of the internyet. In the meantime, this is pretty much the only other news entry that needs to be salvaged:

March 15, 2006 - My brother, the 10,000 foot idiot

Also - Beck pointed out that there's no convenient way to bounce between a blog entry and the blog list. I fixed that - you can now click up on the right-hand corner button and that will take you back to the list of bloggity entries. Go ahead, try it. Tres exciting, eh? Just think how much time I saved you - all those hours wasted pressing Alt & arrows. Ne'er again! Good Day to you sir. I said... Good Day.

I'll join the masses calling them out - RHCP, you make me laugh. The Californicators recently released an album and went, pardon the French, apeshit when they found out it had been leaked on the internet like, oh, every other album. I mean, press releases, news conferences, you name it, on how these pirates were really crimping their Bacardi-sippin' lifestyles. Not to say that online piracy is okay (it's not, I mean especially when you use, say, international war crimes as a barometer), but it really was an over-the-top diatribe aimed at the leaker in support of "Flea"'s intellectual property. Did I say Flea? I meant Tom Petty. Yep, Tom Petty got his Chiffon on, and Flea and Keidis and whoswhat had the GALL to get their Harrison on. It just makes it all sad, ya know? The only appropriate response from Petty, outside of suing their butts off, is to tell them to go stuff it. In a sock.

School days winding down - goodness. Should have lunch with the Kate tomorrow. I should also mention that I've been seriously enjoying Robert Solomon's No Excuses lecture series on Existentialism that Scott and Margie gave me; awesome stuff. So far only covered Camus in detail, and conveniently enough I've read The Stranger, The Plague, The Fall, The The (just kidding), and The Myth of Sysiphus, so i am 100% on board. Every morning drive in has been an Existentialism lecture followed by some raging, crisp punk music, usually Patti Smith or the like. Then I engage in the futile exercise of attempting to educate. Kinda brutally appropriate, actually.

Okay, also picking up the acoustic tomorrow which had a tuneup over the weekend - for the technically inclined, the action was ridiculously high, so something had to be done. I should now improve 1000% overnight. Good God Y'all.

Which reminds me - today in class, we played a game where I needed a disincentive to keep them from shouting out randomly. So i said they had to dance for everyone if they missed the answer, and one of my ever-serious ESL students looked at me sternly and said, "I would rather do homework than dance." Um. Yeah, I had pretty much guessed that already...

Post notes: I took Bethany, my awesome Calculus student, out for breakfast at Dunkin Donuts this morning for our last class. We talked about fuzzy logic and music and ethics and all sorts of stuff over dunkaccinos and coffee rolls. She is 100% completely awesome - just a great blend of enthusiasm and cynicism, studiousness and lust for life. And man, does she ever light up when she starts talking about her music - she's an incredible piano player, and she just emanates a vibe of someone who practices enough to burn themselves out ten times over but keeps coming back with fervor..Anyways, just wanted to give her a big shout-out; you gotta keep people like her in mind because...

Hot damn. I just read my student class evaluations - and while for the most part they're okay, just three or four of them were... fuhgeddaboutit. Don't ever go into teaching if you want to be appreciated to any degree. I would like to embrace that fact right now - I damn well know that they couldn't care less about me or anything I do for them. And that's just the way it is, and that's perfectly okay, and the only nobility is to keep giving them my all with no hope of anything in return. Doesn't entirely make the process pleasant. But them's the breaks. And how's this - after taking that BS from them, I'll still give them some end of the year pizza. Because hey, why not.

No comments:

Post a Comment