Sunday, May 13, 2007

Post of Emergent Nature

So, the past few days I have been compiling a list of songs for wedding reception dance party purposes. The plan is to put a playlist on the iPod (and some backup iPods, we being of the not stupid variety) and just let 'er rip. In other words, you can't make requests THEN, you should make them NOW. So, here's your notice:

MAKE YOUR REQUESTS NOW! Either comment them here or e-mail them to me. There will be no day of spinning of iPod wheels in order to seek out your favorites! You have been warned.

(Note - there is also going to be some dinner-time jazz, so if you have anything particular you would like to hear - and no, dad, we're not playing any post 1967 Miles Davis - let me know).

On a side note - making this list has been more difficult than you might imagine. There's a couple of crazy dynamics to balance - slow and fast songs, big band v. sixties v. eighties v. modern, happy-nice song v. songs with questionable lyrics (I ain't sayin' she a gold digger), plus the usual battle of deciding what kind of appropriately funyn songs I could play or not play. For example, my choice of Steven Stills's "Love the One You're With" for our first dance has been much-maligned. I don't get it! I'm also supposed to have a song before our first dance to introduce us (and more importantly, Beck) - see, I think a song like BOC's "Godzilla" would be awesome for such purposes, but other people might differ. it's a pervasive problem - on the serious side, is it okay to play Smokey's "Tears of a Clown" - I mean, sweet song, but it has all kinds of "I'm smiling now, but I'm really miserable" overtones which, in the face of a smiling groom and bride, could have bad connotations. Will the more traditional among us be offended by the multiple key changes of Dexy's Midnight Runners' "Come on Eileen?" These problems border on overwhelming.

So this is where you come in. Recommend some songs! I'll spoil the surprise and announce Beck's and my first fox-trotting spectacular dance song right now:

Iron Butterfly - In-a-Gadda-da-Vita

No comments:

Post a Comment