Sunday, November 15, 2009

The Other End of Disc

In the midst of the Sprawl news, I shouldn't neglect to mention that my VOTS team has won four ina row to pull even on the season. You'll remember we were in dire straits after losing badly to the other division's last place team; we followed that with a win against their #1 team (Vince's Town Tricycle) and a wind-aided upset against Justin D.'s 3rd-ranked May Cause Dizziness. We followed that by fairly shellacking Keith's Inglourius Backhanderds and the number one seed from our division, BP, Paul & J-Ro's The Pen is Mightier. (I will leave detailed boasting aside, but with an injured Heart Attack, Nipar and a sporadically appearing Hoyt, I would claim that I deserve some sort of Andre Dawson-esque MVP. After all, I scored or threw a full 13/14ths of our team's goals in the most recent game ;)). That took us from the pit of despair to 5-5 on the season (and a +4 point differential), earning us the 6th seed on our side and an 11th overall ranking (based on the dubious Nabity all-league rankings). So in pool play (which starts this week), we've got a rematch with May Cause Dizziness, a new match in EBay's Jelly it Up the Sideline, and another new match in Disc-throw Inferno. Realistically, we should lose to MCD on Tuesday and be eliminated from real contention, but we'll see how it goes. I doubt I can pull off the same level of mayhem that I've been doing (taking next to no subs, cutting like crazy) for a full day of Ultimate on Saturday anyways.

Saturday morning scrimmages have been revived, now called the "Elizabeth Lambert Scrimmage-for-Lunch Ultimate Gauntlet" or EL-SLUG. (If you don't know who EL is, might I direct you HERE). My team lost a heart-breaker Saturday; on Universe-for-lunch point, JD threw a laser huck up the sideline, I laid out over / through Rob for the game-winner ... and couldn't get it. To be fair, he grabbed my arm right as I reached for the disc, but it would have been an utterly lame foul call given that 1, I laid out into him, and 2, it was double Ultimate point. We did get another turnover for a final shot at the OT victory, but Tom "A full two thirds of our overtime turnovers" V. gacked an easy disc at midfield to choke away the game. Ah, well, it happens. I hate buying lunch for people, but it would have been arbitrary either way. The two actual games went 13-7 / 8-13, so everything was balanced. I played okay on the day with some nice stuff here and there, a little over-adventurous with some throws to some of our "know your receiver" targets, but otherwise okay. I did have a nice layout grab for a goal and a goalline handblock, always fun. I'm generally disappointed that we can't get a *real* men's competitive scrimmage going - where the hell were all our handlers this weekend? - but hopefully that will get corrected once we get closer to NYF.

Alright, more on the non-Ultimate front later. I have a crazy school-week coming up, but nothing I can't storm my way through. And now, I have to go run a beginner's clinic.

No comments:

Post a Comment