Sunday, November 15, 2009

Paving the World

Big, fat, life-altering news from the Ultimate front: BP and Gries stepped down from captaining duties for Sprawl, leaving a void in 2010 Sprawl leadership. Six people were nominated, four declined; two had talked previously about captaining together, were psyched to combine their complementary talents, and accepted. The 2010 crew of World Pavers, aka the Metro-Phoenix men's club team Sprawl, will be captained by Justin "Neon Deion" Dheintime and your very own Nyet "the Lesser" Jones. Tres exciting!

Dheintime, aka Trigger, is the same Justin who was a raging tour de force on your favorite VOTS team EVAH and mine, The Royal WEfnuk*. He's one of the faster human beings I've had the privilege of being burned by. I am pretty sure one of the reasons he stays so young is the time he spends near light speeds. I know, I slay you. But JD is standout kinds of quick with incredible endurance. Add to that some killer instincts and an already thorougly developed knowledge of the game. Primo mid-receiver and defender, the kind of guy other teams watch score multiple times at regionals and ask, "He has to get tired eventually, right?" No, no he does not. I feel I've already mentioned that on these pages, but you get the point: fantastic player, and youthful; at 26, he's not even at his peak yet. It's difficult to imagine him getting quicker, but in the short year-plus I've known him, his jumping, reading, throws that were already good have gotten better. Sky's the limit - *literally*:



All of which is to point out that we are balanced as players - he's young, fast, athletic and has hops, and I, er, balance that. No, seriously, I've morphed into the aged handler prototype for club frisbee purposes, so it's good to have that end of things (handler cuts, dumps, disc control, strategies, etc.) in my domain while the other aspects of the game (athleticism, man D, open field cutting, troop-inspiring) in his. If we had a third guy who was a big imposing deep threat, we'd be a perfect trio. Oh, wait - what's that you say? Gries and Vince (and... Cole?) are giant athletic deeps who will fill that role by wearing the proverbial As on their jerseys and being auxiliary captains? Why, it almost sounds like we have bases covered.

Most importantly, Triggs is the nice-guy Midwestern ying to my nasty Texas-via-East-Coast yang. Not to put either of us in any stereotypical holes - DT is certainly not going to put up with anyone's crap in any kind of aw-shucks way, even if he does have the boyish charm to panty-drop many an unsuspecting waitress. But he is by nature more positive than I am. I think we'll present a balanced front to the TEAM, be able to figure out which players respond to whom better, as well as keep one another in check. We are, you might say, like a spectrum, or two sides of a coin.

I've probably guffawed enough and made my point, but suffice it - Dheintime's an awesome guy, awesome player, and brings a lot to the table that I don't; I hope the reverse is true. We are intensely invested in the upcoming year - Sprawl made a leap this past year, and all indications are that with some good recruiting, some tweaking here and there, and some dedication from the team, we can take the great situation that BP/Griesy created and punch it up another DFW-ian plateau. I've got one or two legit years left as a club player before I make the "leap" to the Masters division, and I really hope I can a, hold together, and b, use the past 13 years of club experience to drive this team up. More news obviously to follow - I know this blog was lacking in Ultimate posts - but for now, let's leave it that my brain overfloweth with ideas. First step is recruiting some dudes...

*We are actually running up on the one year anniversary of that team's shocking and dominant Fall League Championship, so now would be as good of a time as any to reminisce on that juggernaut. 9-1, +59 points, +5.9 ppg in the regular season. We lost our opener to Offshore Swilling 15-8 (without Justin, not coincidentally), meaning that +/- was actually +66 for the nine victories, or +7.33 per game... yikes. We ran off 14 games in a row from that point, also going 5-0, +33 in the playoffs, including a crushing 15-6 revenge victory on OS in the finals. Memories... it is highly unlikely that Justin and I will ever get to play together on a league team again (or Pat and I, or Genevieve and I, etc.), so here's a repeat of a great picture of a great team:

DSCF4870

No comments:

Post a Comment