Tuesday, August 17, 2010

This is Not a Fun Blog, Vol. 6: Bacalao!

DSCF7570

Perhaps revealing my utterly uncreative nature, I took the opportunity on this, my third night of captivity, to keep the streak alive. My affinity for the -burger suffix is unmatched; in Beck's absence, I am three for three* in that department and tonight made myself codburgers topped w/ mango chutney a la Salt Spring Island's Moby's. I salt-and-peppered the cod, threw in a touch of Penzey's Cajun seasoning, broiled the fish, toasted buns, shucked and boiled corn, cut and steamed broccoli to make a delicious if somewhat formulaic dinner (that, ftr, has SALSA AUTENTICA on the broccoli and some of the corn, not some plebeian catsup. So phbbbbbbbbt!).

* - Through no fault of my own - last night was *going* to be a burrito dinner, or maybe even a breakfast for dinner at a local diner, but as I straggled my way out of practice, Skunk came up and revealed that he had locked his keys in his car. In this age of remote keys, it's fairly puzzling to me how that could even happen, but I suppose it continues to be Skunk's world, and I just take up residence. So I gave Justin a ride home (as planned, and incidentally, homeslice just moved and now lives something like 200 yards from Tuck Shop, dios mio!) and then took Skunk up to his place several blocks north and west of mine, then ran low on gas and got some, then drove Skunk back down to Tempe several blocks south of my place to grab his car, then found myself getting home at 11:30 instead of the planned 10:30. So leftover chicken burgers it was, and they were quick and delicious and hit the spot after sweating out some 13 pounds last night**.

** - I'm not even joking. I weighed seven pounds less when I got home than when I left, despite having drunk half a gallon water and 32 ounces of gatorade during practice. E-freaking-gads, Sunny Azz! And e-freaking-gads Sprawlers, whose poor practice attendance requires me to play at near savage frequencies.

Super-filling meal, and pretty reasonably good for me, too - I went with two quarter pound burgers and low-cal whole wheat buns, so all told this ran a conservatively-high 730 calories with 8 grams of fat and 73 (!!!) grams of protein. Again, subbing fish for your beef is a great way to keep that -burger streak going while preventing, um, other streaks. Like ones in your arteries? Yes, that was terrible.

No real plans for the next couple of night's meals, but I'll keep you appraised. Practice tomorrow night, though, so it'll probably be back to the burrito plan, Pepe Le Kendall's plans notwithstanding. We'll see. Otherwise, things roll along quietly here; a fresh batch of 20,000 lightly-clad freshmen-to-bes have littered campus, making everything up at school a madhouse (I'm pretty sure all 20K registered at the gym today, sheesh). We're adding 9 people to our little department, too, so it'll be nice to have some fresh faces. And I continue to be in a constant state of should-be-reading/writing/doing-more. So it goes - more when it happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment