Friday, December 21, 2007

Fame! Fortune! Everything That Goes With It!

I thank you all; Velvet Jones indeed held seed last night and walked away with another line on their collective resume: one that reads "Winter League Champions." We managed to win despite a big fat no-show by our first draft-pick Cole who left town earlier than expected. Stupid college kids. Anyhoo, I neglected to snap any photos - sorry. 'Twas a good night - had a fairly decent-sized crowd, complete with heckling and some hyper-organized fantasy Ultimate (if you follow the above link, there's even a spreadsheet that tracks our scores (and I was told that I got gypped out of a D, so you can mark me at "+2," not just"+1." You know, for the record)). I played fine - had a double-happiness (= a play where you get a D and go deep and get the score, tres exciting) and otherwise handled reasonably well. My lowlight was getting hipchecked hockey-style in roughly the third point of the game - I was sprinting on an in-cut, trying to avoid somebody else's guy when he side-stepped directly in my path at the last possible second and was kinda bent over. It looked something like this:



Only the guy got drilled, too, so at least it wasn't entirely one-sided. But his shoulder/elbow or something stuck right into the fleshy part of my hip, so I played the rest of the game pretty hobbled, and this morning I feel fairly craptastic. So it goes, and I'm glad nothing worse happened.

That's pretty much it for 2007 Ultimate - I might play in a pickup game this weekend, but otherwise there will be no exploits until '08. Huzzah. Think I'll give myself a little bit of time to heel from the recent charlie-horse and all the general knee pain, tight hamstrings, missing toe-nails, hurt heels etc. that Ultimate on the compact Arizona soil brought me this fall.

In other news... what other news!!! We won the friggin' championship of the world of Mesa, AZ!!! Yeah, I'm sitting in the hot tub and drinking champagne out of the VOTS Men's Competitive League Cup, baby! ALL DAY LONG!

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment