Saturday, December 22, 2007

Weather Outside = Frightful

Happy winter solstice peoples! We woke up this morning to this vision of cuddle on the futon:

DSCF2534

That's Wrigley and the S-dog, huddled together as close as possible to maintain body heat in the frigid 54 degree (Farenheit) (Thank goodness) apartment. That's 54 inside - believe it or not, Sunny Azz got its Dominique Francon on and turned Frigid Azz. Cold! We finally had to cave and turn on the heater, lest we end up with a vanilla and a chocolate dogcicle. I'm sure you don't believe me, so I brought the trusty FinePix with me this morning to make my case:

DSCF2539DSCF2542DSCF2544

That's FROST on the lawn! Wahoo! That's as close to a white xmas as you're gonna see in Scottsdale, folks (insert comment re: but isn't scottsdale all white? here). And I know you've got some crazy notion running through your sugar-plum laden brains that it's just dew. False! Exhibt 2A, please!

DSCF2547

That's ice on my finger! (As well as a hyper-detailed picture of my index fingerprint. Take my identity... please! Thanks, I'll be here all week). As Beck forced me to explain, "Dew doesn't Do That," and now I'm sure I've infringed on a Pepsi-cola subsidiary or something. So it goes. Anyways, that's the excitement of the day, that it's dipping down toward 32 at night and making for chilly morning jaunts with the pups. Sparkle in particular notes that you, too, would take half an hour and dance before you poop if you had to squat in ice. Sparkle has taken to curing her coldness ills by donning her fur coat and looking like a pimp, a topic touched upon last winter. When that doesn't work, she channels her inner-kitty and lounges in a sunbeam. Pictorial evidence of Sparkle's feline tendencies:

DSCF2549DSCF2551DSCF2553
DSCF2554DSCF2556DSCF2559

Nice! Pictures 4 and 5 (as read in standard, left-to-right, up-down non-Hebrew fashion) are the cat pics. If you have a sec, look at picture 3 up close, 'cause that is straight up emo Sparkle. Emo, not emu. Emu Sparkle is off to your right there.

Otherwise, it's been a relatively unsuccessful attempt by the Nyet to grin and bear the bruised hip I received in the finals the other night. As predicted, I was fairly wrecked for the duration of Friday.* Hale, the bony guy with whom I collided on Thursday night (great player and all around good guy), did a number on me, and I'm starting to have a nifty little badge to show for his efforts. Next exhibit is my new "living art" project I call "He-Man Tomer."

DSCF2561DSCF2562DSCF2564DSCF2565

And a word to the wise - Google Picasa's "I'm feeling lucky" is not always a great idea. And be warned, that makes it look gross and a whole lot worse than it is.

*(a day that otherwise included a whole lot of reading and a fair shake of guitar shreddage - I am sure I annoyed my neighbors by practicing the guitar solo to More than a Feeling no less than 278 times. I think I've got it - more or less. Also, Beck came home and went running, only decided to go for a walk, so i thought she had been kidnapped or Wrigley had been run over, so I locked the apartment and went out looking for her, forgetting that she didn't have a set of keys. So when I missed her out on her path, she got to spend several minutes standing outside our door in the frost-on-the-grass-creating cold, listening to her phone ring inside the apartment as I frantically called it trying to find her. I'm a neurotic dork. Anyhoo, we went to Houston's afterwards and were deemed attractive enough** to eat at the bar, so that was cool. And delicious - Beck got a prime rib sandwich au jus, and I think there is a special seat in cardiac Hades for my cheeseburger dipped in au jus. Dios mio! I may be going to hell in a condiment, but at least I'm enjoying the ride).

** - Seriously, what's the deal with stupid middle class bourgeois bullshit culture?***

*** - A waitress stopped to talked to us about some lady's Chanel diamond necklace last night. I told her about the coal necklace I have sitting in a drawer at home. She said what? I said give it time.

Today (after navigating frost-infested lawns), I tutored several students, including one who pretty much refused to do anything. Rationalizing with nine year olds is not my forte (mocking them is! See: all of my conversations with William re: Killgore), so trying to convince young Sam that his Christmas break had not in fact started because he still needed to learn his times tables was something of a fruitless exercise. I ultimately motivated him via challenge - five minutes to finish one hundred one-digit multiplication problems, CAN YOU DO IT? More importantly, CAN YOU BEAT ME???!?!?!?? Answer: no, and no****. But at least he got going enough to try. So success-ish.

**** - I finished all 100 in 1:05. My inner nerd vibrated in harmony with all that is.^

^ - really, you should try it sometime - it's weird, because for you or me, the limiting factor is your pen, not your ability to multiply one digit numbers, so you have to enter this meditative state of answering the next couple of questions while still writing the current one down. Interesting experience. Have I nerded you out yet?

And tonight, we start Beck's winter vacation by attending a Coyotes game! I caught a bit of the Yotes-Sharks game Thursday night, and it was quite a comeback by the local lads. It was 1-1 about halfway through the third when the Coyotes got SKA-rewed on a penalty call after a melee near the Sharks goalie. Essentially three guys from each team got involved in a brawl, and all three Coyotes got five minute majors (and a game misconduct for one of them) and only two Sharks got majors. Jeremy Roenick, who very obviously dropped his gloves and scrapped, got off with NOTHING, and the Sharks got a five minute powerplay. And you'll never guess who scored to put them up 2-1. So Wayne Gretzky's going bonkers on the bench, and for the final ten minutes of the game, the Yotes play their brains out but get nothing going. They eventually pull their goalie, but one of their forwards gets a two minute cross checking penalty. So their short-handed for the last 45 seconds of the game, albeit even with their goalie pulled. It's over - NOT! Shane Doan snaps one home off a face-off win, they battle through OT and then win the shootout! Huzzah! SO hopefully tonight will be sweet. I'll bring the camera and try to catch some action. And recap will follow.

In case that's not a long enough post for ya, check this excellent-but-similar to a previous-post video. This time we're featuring REM instead of John Lennon, but I think the mix is quite good:



Now playing: Yes - Heart Of The Sunrise

No comments:

Post a Comment