Monday, August 11, 2008

¡Hombres Enojados!

Beck and I started watching a new television series called ¡Hombres Enojados! And I'm having real trouble understanding it! It's a Spanish television series without subtitles, and man do they say some funny things. I mean, "hola" instead of "hello?" "Musical" instead of "musical?" "Las vidas del pendejos" instead of "American Consumer Culture?" Oh, that crazy moon language.

What's worse is that the show is all about Spanish conquistadors and their boats. And how they were constantly trying to make their Spanish items marketable to a mass audience, like, "Hey everybody, buy our armored breastplates and matching helmets, they're bueno!" And they constantly mistreat their ships - I mean, really, it's like they don't even know that the ships are what keeps them afloat! Crazy! Loco! Mad! I mean, Enojado!

Now, I took Spanish in high school, and a little in college, so that's not the problem. The problem is that I have never been a conquistador, and I didn't live in the 15th-17th centuries, so I have no hope of possibly comprehending anything that's going on. It's like there's a wildly different social dynamic than the limited one to which I have become accustomed, and as a consequence, their plot elements baffle me. I mean, take the pilot episode, for example. Ponce de Leon is all walkin' around, saying woah, I don't know if I should sleep on this ship or that! What's right, what's wrong? And I'm all, "Dude, why don't you just take an airplane?"

I will say that it seems that the show sometimes makes it point a little too overtly. Like, we all know nowadays that chewing gun powder is bad for you because it can blow your face off. But, in like every scene, all the conquistadores chew gun powder! Man, they were so stupid back then. The ships chew gun powder and drink arsenic, too, even when they are carrying smaller ships. Stupid ships.

Beck has a somewhat different viewpoint on all of this. Allow me to try to represent it pictorially:



I think she might be onto something there. Then again, I can't relate to or comprehend this show, so it would probably behoove me not to comment.

So, I guess I recommend checking out ¡Hombres Enojados! Maybe if you are a conquistador, or a ship, and you lived in the appropriate century, and you speak the language, you'll enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment