Friday, February 22, 2008

Update Promised, Update Delivered

Played a tight first half but eventually rolled our way to a 15-10 win in Thursday night's huckfest. More importantly, I made it through an entire game WITHOUT laying out, so no blood-oozing from the Nyetian corpus after this one. Huzzah.

Big-time highlight: we managed to have a one-throw score last night, which as you can pretty much guess is the lowest number of throws it takes to score. They pulled it to us, reasonably deep (about 10 yards outside our endzone), and my defender sprinted down the field, head down and hoping for some sort of first throw glory. I'd been playing handler all night, hanging back around the disc, so in his enthusiasm he assumed I would be headed back toward the guy who picked up the pull. But that guy was "Big Nate," a player with excellent hucks, and an all around cool dude whom I've played with quite a bit the last three months (he was on Velvet, Immaculate Goat, and this hat team). Not to mention there is one thing and one thing only to do when your defender sprints at you full speed, head down off the pull: go deep. So I did. As we "ships-pass-in-the-night" and my defender looks up just in time to see me going fast in the complete opposite direction, he yells out something in the general "OH @#%$!" vein. No one else is back there, Nate launches a gorgeous 70 yard huck that just floats in nicely as I run it down for the score. One throw! And this was around the 12-10 mark, so it was pretty devastating for them. The coolest part about it was that after the screamed obscenity, the entire field went silent. He didn't even have the heart to ask for help deep, which would've been pointless anyways since by the time I caught it I was abut 40 yards behind everybody. And no one cheered, stunned as we were by the beauty of the throw. Tres exciting.

Rewind to earlier in the day, and a pathetically sick Essa was not up to her usual hijinks. She was super sniffly, but stuck to it and made it through the lesson. We were reading about the 1984 Olympics, and she said that she didn't remember that. I told her of course she didn't remember that, she hadn't been born yet. She said that must have been sad. I said she didn't really exist yet, so it couldn't really be sad or happy. She said, "No, I meant sad for everyone else, not to have me around."

Rewind a bit further, and we learn that the lunar eclipse was not the only thing we missed in the sky on Wednesday night. In another glorious moment of "Team America, @#$% Yeah!," the U.S. of Aim BLASTED a satellite OUT OF THE SKY. You can watch videos and press conferences here, or check out some groovy pics here. I really feel like one of those pics should be turned into an LOL-rocket, with something along the lines of "O Hai China/North Korea/Iran, did U see whut we did ther?"

Yowsers.

No comments:

Post a Comment