Monday, February 11, 2008

South Mountain, Take Two:

Before all of that, note that I have made a non-liar out of myself, and I have posted reviews to three things in the past few days. WAHOO. You can check them here, here and here.

The Beck and I made a pseudo-weekend of it. After a long Saturday, we lacked the energy to pursue our original goal, indoor rock-climbing - to be pursued at a later date - so we vegged out and caught the remake of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. I don't really think a Saturday night, commercial laced viewing warrants a review, but my general take was that Johnny Depp did a good take on a different version of Willy Wonka, I still prefer Gene Wilder (duh), and the rest of the movie - the kids, primarily - were a lame rehash of the original. By far the coolest aspect of the movie was the now-hipper Oompa loompas, who brought an eclectic mix to the Oompa Loompa musical ouevre while still maintaining those bizarre slave-race overtones. So you can't beat the original, but at least some of the reinventions clicked.

We got off to late start Sunday but eventually drove ourselves down to South Mountain for a beautiful hike. 75 degrees, sunny, just gorgeous. We took Wrigley the dog with us, who turns out to be part goat (though perhaps not as part goat as, um, this). She had a great time even though she got a little sore by the hike's end. Here's a sampling of the hike; check out the full set (note the sunny pictures) for more.
DSCF3173 DSCF3177 DSCF3184
DSCF3189 DSCF3190 DSCF3193
DSCF3196 DSCF3198
DSCF3199 DSCF3200 DSCF3201
DSCF3203 DSCF3213 DSCF3214
DSCF3205 DSCF3207

Or, alternatively, I could just post every picture. Sheesh, I need an editor.

So, a great hike, and then Beck and I parted ways as I drove over to Mesa for some Sunday pickup. I hadn't played in a little while, so the ol' lungs were a little rusty. But I had a fantastic time and even made some crazy layout catches taboot. Huzzah! Spring league "starts" this week (I drove all the way down to Tempe last Tuesday to discover that the games had been canceled, blah!), so it's good to get a dose of confidence. Good times!

I came home to an exhausted Beck and Wrigley. We ate some burritos, watched the Grammy's for a little bit and then just chilled and read. Long, good Sunday. ANd now back to the working week.

No comments:

Post a Comment