Sunday, April 9, 2006

More drivel from the repeated victim of drive-by violin serenades.

A big gaping vat of silence from me the past week, probably reflective of the vast vat of meaningless drivel that filled it. How's that for an uplifting opener? Nice beat, can you dance to it? Seriously, Beck is very busy with her Large Animal Rotation (it's a hippo ballerina, no really) and I've been busy enlightening the ill-informed, or, as the case may be, sitting in their presence for an hour at a time. Actually, it was kinda a trying week, despite only lasting 3 working days, as I had a lot of trouble finding the motivation to do much of anything, writing, exercising or otherwise. That's enough on the woe is me front, just let it be publicly known that I am disappointed in my occasional flirtation with an utter lack of creativity. I couldn't have written anything to save my life this week, so it kinda sucked. Them's, as they say, the breaks. Brakes?

Beck and I went out for the unique Central Mass experience of a dinner at Chili's last night which was actually pretty fun. I taught my kids a bunch of proofs in class, earning the praise of "that actually wasn't so terrible" from one of my students. Nothing like the instant gratification of thanks for a job well done here in the teaching industry. Beyond that, it really just kinda lulled it's way by; I feel like it was just an endless string of teaching, eating, sleeping and dog-walking. SOmetimes I talk this way.

Today, Lisa the Laser Gordon came up with the brilliant team name "Arrrrrrr Kelly" for our Pirate-themed Ultimate hat team. I felt compelled to up the ante and include all kinda of unsavory jokes in our in-game and post-game cheers, none of which are brilliant enough to be recorded here. But a good time was had by all; we won 15-6 or so and got some plyos in with the Roid crew. Our hat team also features a ton of people who are all fairly cool and all play pretty well, so clearly the apocalypse is upon us. Seriously though, Arrrr Kelly, consisting of Andre, J-ette, Lisa, Deb, Dave WuTang, Alex, Matt, Joe, Steve, Luke, Elliott, Hannah, Kristi and me, your esteemed narrator, is a force to be careful with around minors. That's all I'm saying.

On yet another side note, I don't really feel like reviewing it, but I watched Hoop Dreams the other day and it just kills, same as the first time. I'm not really so much a fan of knee injuries, but just to see the way everything swings in the balance for those guys on the basis of something as fragile as cartilage - not good. And the terrible / poor homes they're coming from, and that their endpoint dreams of wealth and houses for their mothers really just boil down to the bourgeois everyday mundane - it's sickening, guilt-inducing and tragic all at once. I was also really weirded out by the Spike Lee scene in the middle, where he all but compares them to clowns for others' entertainment, and rants and rails about how it's all about money - at a summer Nike camp no less. Another shot to the uplifting nature of these days, for me anyways.

Sometimes I just hate all aspects. Ya know?

No comments:

Post a Comment