Friday, October 17, 2008

Can I Get a Witness???

So, normally I eschew the shuffle function on the iPod - being an album-oriented purist and all - but today I was carrying about 14 things to the office and I didn't feel like figuring out what album to listen to so I just went to my "radio" playlist and hit shuffle. And guess what the first song that came up was? "Elenore" by the Turtles.

Now, surely somebody out there is on google chat, and surely someone has noticed that my clever greeting message all week has been "Nyet is... your pride and joy, etc." A line from... ELENORE!!!

I am sure this somehow proves the existence of dinosaurs. Or perhaps just turtles.

Busy day ahead - seminar course, lunch, research this afternoon, softball this evening, one-day Ultimate tournament tomorrow. I'll give all of this excitement a thorough write-up later, but I felt that when T-Rex talks to you through your iPod, you have to blog about it.

And also - The Sox last night? WOW. Too much excitement. I will say that I am continuously amazed that with all the coverage and all the ridiculous angles you could take, people limit themselves to "doood, that was amazing!" As I just did. Ironically. Don't I think. A little too ironically, yeah I really do think, because instead of just reiterating that it was amazing, it was the biggest comeback of all time, blah blah, I could point out that the conservative "only throw fastballs with a seven run lead" mindset is what got Balfour into trouble, a conservative play by the Rays RF (Gross?) - not diving on that liner by pedroia - kept the seventh inning alive, again under the rationale of "we're up by 7, why would I dive?", the continued conservative mindset resulted in a megalo-blast out to right by papi, a big time misplay by Upton in center on what admittedly would have been a nice play but was surely an entirely catchable ball to CF in the 8th, a serious rush job by Longoria that resulted in Youkalis getting to second in the ninth... you see, there are a lot of details that make up a comeback, and especially with so many of those runs coming with 2 outs, you can point at those details as pivotal rather than the ubergeneral "wow, the rays choked" or whatever confusing-people-with-groups type psychology you'd like to apply.

Sheesh. Anyhoo, hope everyone has a great day, and I hope the world will produce more odes to fat japanese girls, because I, too, think Elenore Gi is swell.

BONUS Shuffle-related news: As if my morning wasn't going awesomely enough, Son of Trogdor (that's my iPod's name) next played the Ronettes' "Be My Baby" and then Barry McGuire's 'Eve of Destruction." Good times! Besides being a nice, grumbly folk song that talks about pushing the button, EoD features one of my favorite techniques of song-writing, rhyming a word with itself. Check it out:
Don't you understand,
What I'm trying to say?
Can't you see the fear
that I'm feeling today?
If the button is pushed,
there's no running away,
There'll be no one to save
with the world in a grave,
take a look around you, boy,
it's bound to scare you, boy.

See? Of course, the most famous instance of this comes from our friends at Simpsons, Inc.:

Come on Homer, Come on Homer!
Pretend this is baseball and hit us a homer

Can you think of any others? I will rack my brain today to answer this important question.

No comments:

Post a Comment