Thursday, December 11, 2008

Miscellany

I have a bad habit of dropping my blogging for a couple of weeks at a time and neglecting to blog in detail things that deserve it. And then I write a single post that lumps a bunch of things together, diminishing the apparent importance of each thing individually. This would appear to be an instance of that sort of behavior:

HSD PAPER IS DONE. Yay. Submitted and everything. I'm a little concerned that I didn't do enough of a back and forth, writer / editor style interaction with the professors, but I met with them several times regarding topic, got help with the paper outline / framing, etc., so hopefully they won't destroy my self esteem with red pen. We'll see. Anyways, if you're interested, here it is; let me know what you think:

Addressing the Laity: Public Rhetoric in the Sociobiology Critique

THANKSGIVING IN RACHACHA. As briefly alluded to, we had a great time over Turkey week in Rochester. Hit Jine's for brunch twice, once on Wed. and again on Sat. Good stuff. Sat around and watched a whole lotta Season 1 30 Rock on Friday and Saturday - I mean, it was a marathon, and we just couldn't stop pressing next on the AppleTV. Wow. Good show, but we seriously watched 24 episodes. Yikes. Saw Liz's apartment and visited the Bishops for Liz's birthday. Liz has a cool place, walking distance (when not in winter) from her workplace and apparently up the street from cousin Ian. Good stuff.

Thanksgiving day itself was fun - the bulk of the extended iPJ family was there, including the usual Margie-Scott-Jamie-Meghan-Greg -beck-Nyet crew, The Red Robster and Ginny, Greg and Jane, Brednan and Annie, Ian briefly, Kathleen, and Suzie (I'm pretty sure I got everyone; correct me if I'm wrong). Good times, good conversation and good eats - I'm pretty sure Ginny was the source of the sickness that touched Beck last week and now me (boo), but otherwise it was a 100% successful visit. We managed to watch no football whatsoever I think, which is a great rarity for me, but for whatever reason, I just haven't kept up with the NFL this year, so putting aside time to watch Detroit get killed seemed frivolous. (Actually, we had been at GPGDS the night before thil 1:30 in the morning, so most of us were comatose well into the Lions game anyways). NEhoo, a great time, potatoes peeled and everything, and I'm glad we made the trip.

The Royal WEfnuk CELEBRATORY DINNER. Genevieve kindly hosted the team for a two weeks later, celebration of our league championship, potluck dinner last Sunday. G made pizza, we all drank beer and wine and bored everyone's dates with tales of our Ultimate glory (including some folks from other teams in the league, har!). Great post cap to the season, and better yet, Alexxx is a graphic designer and came up with this bad boy as a trophy t-shirt design:

fnukfront
fnukbackjpg>

Excellent.

BECK ON THE FIELD. Despite coughing up both of her lungs over the course of the past two weeks, Beck took to the Ultimate field at women's practice this last Tuesday and is returning tonight! I am super-psyched as my eleven year plan to get Beck to play frisbee is finally coming to fruition. Just kidding - I really am supremely proud to see her giving it a go; it's very hard to jump in with a bunch of people who know what they're doing* and try to pick up a sport. I am excited about warming up with her tonight; we've got "competitive pickup" alongside their practice, so should be a good evening.

* - PHXation, Phoenix's women's Ultimate team, may or may not know what they're doing.

MEN'S LEAGUE. Is going just fine, thanks. Our team took the one seed in regular season play, tying Justin and Vince's team at 4-2 but losing both of our games by a single point, giving us the nod in point differential. We're playing pretty sloppy - this year doesn't seem quite as crisp as last year's men's league for whatever reason - but having a good time. I've felt exceedingly banged up (tight hamstrings, quads still giving me trouble, sore feet, bruised hip from crazy layouts), but other than being unable to shift it into seventh gear b/c of my quad, I've been playing pretty well. Last week, axshully, I was en fuego, with something like 12 deep hucks connected and a bunch of poach Ds on the other side. Excited for the coming year; I'm gonna try to play club, pending my body holding up. We'll see how that goes. And yes, I''ll give the playoffs the full treatment on Monday.

Alright, gotta run. Sorry for the lame coverage. More later. Wish Beck luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment