Thursday, December 18, 2008

A Short Take on the Past Five Day's Four Films

In order of, um, appreciation?

Dreamland: 50

Something that should have before now but if not will in a moment have revealed itself is that I appreciate effort and ambition in my film. And this one had it - not your standard story, and a huge effort at spectacular, color-rich cinematography taboot. Quirky film editing, dialog, the works. But still - there's just something spectacularly unbelievable about a multi-year alcoholic claustrophobe suddenly pulling himself up by his bootstraps, something just pain-stakingly silly about a 140 pound long haired goof-kid (who practices by dunking on an eight foot hoop) getting a scholarship to UNLV. I additionally did not buy the love triangle or the heartfelt poetry. 'Twas a pretty film, but it just didn't hit it for me.

Bolt: 65

Something about this ho-hum Dreamworks production just hit the spot. Possibly the fiction / reality conflict of which I am such a fan. Wildly predictable plot, complete with the changes of heart and lessons of friendship, but that didn't really bug me so much. Maybe it's because I have a severe penchant for crying at dog drama, but Bolt's longing for reunion and his canine dedication were just touching. My only big complaint is that the hamster could have been so much more. Yeah, Beck dragged me to this, but I am not complaining at all; I enjoyed it. And I am now especially suspicious of Wrigley whenever she barks, stares, or tries to paw me on the shoulder.

Sweeney Todd
: 70 (75, maybe?)

I heart Tim Burton, and I heart absurdity, so I really heart Tim Burton musicals about revenge-seeking barbers who turn their victims into meat pies. I find it TRULY WACK that so many of my former Walnut students cited this as their favorite Broadway musical; still, I respect the story and all its comitragic whims. I really like that they didn't back off from the gore. They really maxed out what they could do with this piece.

I'm Not There: 473

This is the kind of film that makes me feel inadequate as a human being. Big cheater points for involving one of my favorite subjects, but MAN OH MAN did they do this up right. I am speechless to the point of being unable to review: even the audio commentary was fantastic. Maybe someday I'll get it together enough to review this properly, but in the meantime, wow, just kudos for refusing to bow to a standard "biopic" methodology and keeping this mythic tale in the realm of the myth. A+++. And the soundtrack TABOOT.

No comments:

Post a Comment