Wednesday, December 31, 2008

SA Greetings

Hola from South Central... Texas. Beck and I had a pleasant flight down to ye olde hometown yesterday, and I am up way before everyone else here because of my stubborn internal alarm that says 6 o'clock? Time to GO.

(Before I forget, I was awoken by a bizarre dream in which Davey, Josh and I were playing Uncle John's Band in a guitar circle, and my guitar gradually transformed into a large spoon with soup in it. The last thing I remember saying in the dream was "Sorry Davey, I can't play anymore, the potatoes are no longer lined up." I know I'm not supposed to write about my dreams unless they're about you, but if anyone can clue me in as to what deep-seated self-esteem issues I have because my dream Martin turned into a dream Campbell's, I'd be highly interested. Naturally this led me to wake up thinking about the time Josh, Davey and I played "Paradise City" in a basement in Medford. Not only was this vastly cooler than that ridiculous crap in Can't Hardly Wait, it got me amped enough to come downstairs and blog).

We lounged about the house yesterday, just chatting in the dining room and out on the porch with Mom, Dad and Grandpa. Aaron eventually rolled in, so we busted out the frisbee and played a game of catch until sunset with Dad, Aaron, Beck, Deb, Mom and me in the backyard. We then hit up the Cafer for some Mexican food with Pat & Ron, and came home for some Spurs and hanging out. Aaron and I jammed a bit on his old five string and his new Takamine acoustic guitar. (Clearly this prompted the dream, though I had no soup today so I don't know what the hey is going on there).

Good times in the casa - I think we are having a faux Christmas morning on this fine NYE AM in a little bit (read: whenever everyone else wakes up, so probably several hours from now). There's actually some pickup later on today, so while I'll be sadly missing the Phoenix NYDay "Hungover Hat" tournament, I'll at least get to enjoy the rare opportunity to play with the A-Dog. So that'll be cool, and then it's more festivities tonight - movies, dinner, Auld Lang Syning, you name it. I am currently taking bets on the Beck fall-asleep hour - when making your predictions, keep in mind that we are an hour later than our internal clocks, so she has a bonus sixty minutes to play with. She made it to 9:00 last year, so given a little motivation and maybe a slipped dose of caffeine in there somewhere, we're shooting for 10:42.

I forgot to write about it - had a fun evening with D&C on Saturday. The Light Rail, Phoenix edition is now up and running, and Dan's personal crack dealer Stinkweed's was having a little concert / sale in celebration. We headed over to enjoy some acoustic stylings where Beck judged EVERYONE and then rode the train downtown for some excellent dinner at Wild Thai-ger (I know, they are HILARIOUS). For climatological reasons that no one can explain, it has been getting down into the low forties / high thirties at night in PHX lately, so I had all kinds of pleasant Boston flashbacks while waiting fifteen minutes in the cold for the train to arrive. We eventually made it home to watch a great little film (on Katherine's rec) called The Fall, which I will review at some other time.

Oh, and before I go curl up on the couch to wait the several hours for everyone to wake up - I maintained my yearly tradition (started around 2000, I think) of making my mom some compilation CDs for Christmas. Not Christmas tunes, mind you, just a mix of songs for her to rock out in the car on her way to work. I am happy with this year's batch as I managed to seamlessly incorporate the likes of Mötley Crüe, GPGDS, Ludo, Spinners, GNR, Philip Glass, New Order and Joan Baez, to name a few. Good times. It'll be a rocking new year's eve, indeed.

***********************
Boring Shoulder Update
***********************
Still hurts - may have a played a bigger part in waking me up than my soup guitar, actually. I think I keep rolling over it in my restless sleep. AH, well. It's definitely feeling better - the astute among you will have picked up on the fact that I'm planning on playing Ultimate today, and I actually played on Sunday, too. A little tough to suddenly lunge at anything off to the left side of my body and above my head, but otherwise okay - on Sunday, I skyed some youngin from Tucson and had a trailing edge layout goal catch, so things can't possibly be too dysfunctional. I'll let you know how it holds up.
***********************

No comments:

Post a Comment