Saturday, July 25, 2009

Another 48 Hours... of EXTREME ATHLETICISM

Starting at 8 on Friday night and running til 8 or so on Sunday, I'm going to be all athleticking, all the time. Double header of softball last night, Sprawl scrimmage this morning, Hat tournament this afternoon, hiking in Prescott tomorrow... and lotsa lotsa water and calories inbetween.

Softball went great last night - just a really, really fun time. it was Jason's first game back since his shoulder surgery, and he was throwing (the big concern) just fine, hitting and running well, too. We were playing Beer Goggles, No Drama's arch nemesis of sorts, and we managed to split the double header. We lost the first game on a walk-off hit (and I flew out with the bases loaded and two outs at one point - my only non-hit of the evening, and it came a bad time), and won on a walk-off hit in the second game. Tres exciting, not to mention pretty rare for two walk-offs in a double header to come from opposite teams. I went 6-7 on the night with 3 doubles, AND I sprayed the ball all over the field, one down the third base line, two in the hole, one up the middle, and two to right center. I also scored from first on a grounder to the third baseman, so that was fun. In the second game, we went into the bottom of the 6th down 6-3 and came back to win - I had the honor of scoring the fifth run AND pinch/courtesy running for Brock and scoring the tying run on an error by the third baseman (that would have ended the game - OUCH). Ed doubled down the line to bring in Jason from 2nd, and that was all she wrote - seriously, I had a ton of fun last night; really enjoy this team.

Of course, I got home at 11:00 and was far too wired to sleep. Beck stayed up with me and we watched the thrilling conclusion to Independence Day, an epically BAD MOVIE. Not just because it's terrible, but the scene where Goldblum et al explain what a computer virus is ranks up there with the all time expository dialogue violations - it takes approximately 0.012 seconds to realize that they're going to use a computer virus to disable the aliens' shields, but that doesn't stom them from spending the next 45 seconds riffing on variations of "SO you're going to use a virus... to shut down their shields? Yes, I'm going to use a computer virus to shut down their shields, permitting us to shoot their ships, now that their shields are down because of the computer virus." UGH. Stayed up way too late watching that, knocked off a few more pages of YOU KNOW WHAT, and finally got to bed around 1.

Which is significant because I woke up at 5:30 to eat and get ready for our 7 AM Sprawl practice this morning. It was more of a scrimmage plus some situational scrimmaging, and we hopefully got a lot of great work done in the humid oven that is phoenix today. ("Humid" may or may not mean 17% humidity. It's relative). I had a good day with no turns and a couple of nice layout grabs, one a LEFTY grab for a score, which hasn't happened in forever (at least in Ultimate - the lefty grabs are a lot more common in softball).

Well, I should say I had a good morning, because after of 4 hours of practice, I'm headed back out into the heat for a VOTS hat tourney at Benedict Park. Wish me luck / non-death!

No comments:

Post a Comment