Thursday, July 9, 2009

Mom and the Mundane

From the land of e-mail and, apparently, AOL browsers that can't handle that tricky "post comment" button:
YES!!! Nyet is back and, boy, has been missed.... Sometimes the mundane experiences of everyday life and writing about them gives us the greatest insights. Don't stop blogging and I am looking forward to the accounts to come. By the way, I loved the $50 offer for your art, but figure that maybe someday you will just gift one to me without the strings!
Sorry, we refuse to engage in nepotism of any sort - family members, too, must participate in the Posthumous Challenge. Them's the breaks, you know, in these economic times.

Re the Mundane: Today I had a bowl of Lucky Charms for breakfast, an event that unfailingly causes me to simultaneously think "hey, you're 31 and eating sugary cereal for breakfast. loser" and "Hey, you're probably going to have that demeaning and cliché thought about being old and eating a kid's cereal again, right NOW." The thought "I FRIGGIN' LOVE MARSHMALLOWS IN CEREAL" is also vying for frontal lobe real estate. Metaphorically, of course; far be it from me to localize a thought in a particular region of the brain, what with that nasty mind-body problem still loose on the streets at night.

Beck had the day off, so Beck and I celebrated by mowing and hedging the lawn, respectively. It probably goes without saying at this time of year, but it's cloudless and a high of 109 today, so it kind feels like mowing an oven. Sparkle and Wrigley did not join us.

We checked out a local burger joint called "Chicago Hamburger [Joint]" for lunch, and it was good stuff. Sliders and chili fries and a big, juicy, hamburguesa deliciosa for us, YEAH. Plus lots of Cubs/Sox/Bears/Bulls/Blackhawks paraphernalia; I am sure Dad would enjoy visiting there for both the food and the decor.

We followed that up with an attempt at seeing a movie, but we had already seen Up (point! very good, sweet film) and The Proposal (um, yeah) and did not feel like dropping dollars on either Year One or Transformers. so we came home instead. Beck replanted the tall, increasingly unleafy plant from our living room, and I finished a book which I will review soon.* Beck is now at the gym; I am now blogging; you are now caught up.

* - This what's known in the business as a cliffhanger. A lame one, but fingernails are a scrapin' nonetheless.

P.S. I hit the random button on my iTunes before starting this post, and it chose Scene 1 of Wagner's Der Ring des Nibelungen: Das Rheingold. That's right, composed to OPERA. Bladow; behold the sophisti....cation. Earlier this year in my philosophy of science course, all of the students presented their paper topics, and we were uniformly brutalized by our discerning professors. Dr. Creath followed up the haranguing session with this quip: "I sincerely hope those papers will be like Wagner's music: better than they sound." Hilarious, yes, but I am willing to bet serious money that quip was stolen.To the GOOGLE:

"I have been told that Wagner's music is better than it sounds."

Mark Twain, or Edgar Wilson Nye in Twain's autobiography, depending which end of the internet you believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment