Monday, January 8, 2007

SLFs, NTPBs and Pippens

Karen, new (and very appreciated!) nyet blog commenting all-star, pointed out to me that I committed the egregious error of abbreviating things before stating what they stand for. A little background for the uninitiated (and sorry if this is gratuitous, or COTTMCO*)

NTPB = Not the Phish Bassist. In my autobiography Cougar: The Gaff-spell According to Mike, Nyet's Childhood Pal, you learn very quickly that the titular childhood pal shares his name with the bassist from Phish. If his name were Trey Anastasio, I would call him Trey "NTCH" Anastasio, which stands for "not the coke head." Although I suppose that would require him to not be a cokehead, and though that's a pretty safe bet with Mike NTPB, I don't know about this mysterious Trey guy. So I'll stick with Trey NTPG (not the Phish guitarist) to keep things on the same level. This is more or less all an effort to keep Phishheads off the site, lest we have a bunch of comments starting with Dooooood and referring to "heady nugs." For the record, I am a Phishhead (though I don't smell like one), so it's okay for me to make fun of them; I converted for the jokes.

SLF = special lady friend. This is a very direct reference to the movie The Big Lebowski, a movie which I enjoyed with college friends at Rice but goodness goo did it ever explode in DVD format with the college folk, aka my Tufts buds. They speak almost entirely in Lebowskian terms, i.e. "you're out of your element," "Eight year olds, dude," "he's a good man, and thorough," etc. in a lot of social situations, so it's no surprise that their codeword for "girlfriend" is SLF, which is the parlance of our times. So FTR (for the record), Karen = MNTPB's SLF, which as you can see saves me no typing whatsoever.

More interesting in the speech patterns of Tuftsmen is that after SLF lost it's novelty, they started using "Pippen" to refer to one another's girlfriends, e.g. "That's Rob's Pippen Cassie." Pippen = the Pippen to his Jordan, making any college couple, no matter how transitory their relationship, akin to one of the best tandems in professional basketball history. There is, of course, the blatant sexism involved in implying that the male in the couple is the greatest player ever and the female is his sidekick; this hierarchical nicknaming scheme had the rather predictable result that no female ever referred to Rob as "Cassie's Jordan." Actually, truth be told, and given the traditional "my better half" given to the average SLF, the nicknames should at least be reversed, and probably made to represent more dramatically different talent levels. For example, if instead of "MNTPB's SLF" Karen would rather be referred to as "David Robinson," then we could call Mike NTPB her "Zarko Paspalj."

Here's a conservative prediction that only Mike and my dad will get that joke.

It is perhaps becoming glaringly obvious (or COTTMCO*, if you will) that i have nothing substantial to say today. I taught my classes this morning and everything went fine; afternoon tutoring got canceled so I am here in the comfy (though rainy) confines of Grafton. Just to reward you, here is one of the cooler graphics from the web I have seen in quite some time...

That's a slew of Simpsons characters rendered in anime form. Sweetness.

And here's a video of everyone's favorite sports play, one dude jumping over another!!!



Which is not as awesome as this:



Which is not as well soundtracked / commentated as this:



Which is really not quite as sick as this:



And really, you didn't think I would invoke his name without including this?



And to close, some Zarko Paspalj highlights!



*COTTMCO: Completely Obvious to the Most Casual Observer

No comments:

Post a Comment