Monday, January 1, 2007

Two Thousand Zero Seven (Party Over?)

Welcome to the New Year, Foo's!

I made it back into Grafton last night, as previously reported, where Beck and I had our gift exchange. She guessed my big gift, dance lessons, and as far as my other gift is concerned... well, it was Dave Eggers's new book What is the What, and she got the exact same thing for me. So we are either entirely in tune with one another or both very, very selfish people as we got something we clearly wanted to give ourselves. Or something. I'm not sure. But that was a wash, too, and so my last gift, Beck's beloved movie The Goonies, was a total afterthought but the only actual surprise she received. Yay me.

Beck's gifts, on the other hand, ruled. She got me this great book, What is the What, and she got me a Multipass to the Daily Show and The Colbert Report. So now all that time i would have spent bettering myself and or reading about Scottish readiness will be spent watching mock news. Somehow I anticipate still being two steps ahead of my students. I am pumped.

We went out to Bauhinia with Beck's classmate Theresa. (Side note - I just asked Beck how to spell "Bauhinia;" Beck's new nickname is "smarmy-ass comment maker."). Fun times, and good food taboot, and several vet-related stories as well as a Historical account of the collapse of Gingerbreadia. We left the restaurant well before 9 o'clock and then came home to not stay up until midnight. If we were horses, you would shoot us... wait for it, wait for it... because we are lame. Fortunately, we woke up to a 38-degree-and-raining 2007, so we are pumped about all the foreboding things that insinuates about the upcoming "big year" (not just for the "of the pig" reasons, but also because, apparently, Beck is graduating, I'm getting married, we're in all likelihood moving, all of which is news to me. 2007, who knew?) (5 months of freedom!) (Freedom.). But it's generally nasty and cold so far, so beck and I left the frigid confines of Providence Rd. and headed out for some Blackstone Coffee and reading by the fire, which was very nice, very nice indeed. Then on the way home we stopped at the S&S where we ran into none other than his holiness Ben, aka He Who Now Must Pay For Our Wedding Thanks To Ali, who is actually spending his New Year's Day Ali-less and with his friend John, a Physics PhD from Cornell who shares our humble distaste for the vast majority of vet conversations (which, as you may be able to guess, largely revolve around terms like "rectal" or "anal sacs" or are about professors and / or classmates, none of whom you have ever met or will ever meet or even generally know what they look like, which has an unsurprising tendency to render such conversations boring and force you to be creative in your self-entertainment, often resulting in effective mind-un-numbing activities like reading the labels of cheese). So they are making homemade something-that-I-couldn't-hope-to-remember-or-spell tonight, so we are now having dinner with Ben + guest, and hopefully this time the homemade thing will not look like brains as it did when beck last attempted this concoction.

Woo! Anyways, 2007. Love it or leave it. Back to you soon with more accounts and/or commentary.

No comments:

Post a Comment