Thursday, January 25, 2007

Turning and turning in the widening gyre...

Okay, two days of Science and Social Issues down. Eventually there's going to be a class blog for that site, so I will give you that address and let you know if anything exciting is going on over there. It's a big-time interesting mix of chil'n's; lots of Walnut's Most Wanted and a lot of Too-Cool-For-Schoolers. My class of all seniors last semester was cool, but I will be battling the throes of senioritis as we go. This portends a challenge. Yesterday went well; just an intro survey of topics that we may want to talk about, and I let the kiddoes compile their most desired topics (I kept saying favorite, with the ill-thought-out result being "Genocide is my favorite." That's a direct quote). Today, a lesson on what "science" is. Mwuha..ha...ha?

In the meantime, I've read two books in the last two days. I rock my face.

Bigtime official review for Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe. Best book I've read since I started the website. For whatever that's worth. Cough, cough. A Lot, that's what I think you thought you really meant.

And now, with a stark fear of alienating my 92% insanely liberal audience, a review of Culture Warrior by Bill O'Reilly.

And a quickie review of something that can probably best be summed up by, "huh?"

Lost Highway (1997), David Lynch: 60

A loosely Buddhist tale involving reincarnation and/or multiple identities and death. The movie is gorgeous and has a lot of the trademark weirdness - it packs some visceral punch - but ultimately winds and goes nowhere, becoming a movie that's too weird to be linear and too linear to be just weird. Aweosme scenes, great spacious acting, but it left me wanting a LOT more.

No comments:

Post a Comment