Saturday, February 24, 2007

S-A-TUR-DAY!!!!

Another beautiful, sunny February day in Grafton., I would post a picture, but since in our infinite technological wisdom we have not yet invented feel-o-vision, you would be robbed of the sensation of having wind tear icy flesh from your bones. I wouldn't want to give you an incomplete experience. On a related note, THANKS A LOT Sparkle and Wrigley.

Oh, and I forgot to mention this yesterday, but Frank got funding for Illinois - HUZZAH! Congrats, cuz.

I spent the morning huddled up in the study and writing this review of Moneyball. Enjoy!

I am now waiting for the Princess iF to wake up so we can go to the gym before embarking on our journey downtown to rake in cash hand over fist in a Searl Family Poker game. So while we're sitting here in the studious gloaming...

It's not the like the week ended on President's Day, but oh that it would have. Beck's been in the ER all week from 10-11 or 12 every night, so we've been living a night and day existence. Fun! And I've been slowly recovering from a cold, which has absolutely no relation to the whole not sleeping and drinking game we played this past weekend. None.

So class has been okay, though disheartening. And there have been other wacky events taking place at school, like all of my advisees floundering, students getting expelled, DC'd, leaving for depression-related reasons - all in all, not an uplifting scene. But we've dredged a little knowledge in SASI on the way through - cool activities and class and a test this week, you can check the SASI link at the right for more details.

The highlight of the week was being rescued by Ali on Thrusday - she called up b/c she knew Beck would be absent all night. So I headed over there and we hung out and reminisced on the perils of childhood - good convo. Good times! And then Ben got home and we talked about his new entrepreneurial life. Exciting times in the GrinGoatverse; if we end up leaving this frozen coil next year, I'm going to miss them a lot. As if it weren't enough to keep me company on a wintry beckless night, Ben-Ali found out about my job offer - did I mention I got observed in class on Wednesday and flat out offered a full time job for next year? Something's going right - and took me out to dinner at Cancun's or whatever that Mexican place is around the corner. That's three times in 2 weeks! I think if I am not careful, I am going to soundly test my dad's racially / culturally (potentially) insensitive theory that "Tacos make you fat." (though he is a pediatrician in SA and probably has a sizable sample for such observations). And yes, they still yell loudly "AMIGOS!" at the place in a way that is so ironic it sounds sincere. Regardless, MUCHAS GRACIAS A MI AMIGOS Ben & Ali PORQUE ELLOS SON AMIGOS VERDADEROS. That was very sweet of y'all.

Otherwise, not a lot. I've been watching a Robert Altman film called The Player in pieces this past week and I just started a very cool book called US Guys by Charlie LeDuff that I heard about on NPR's On Point. (That link has the radio show; I highly recommend it). Actually, the main reason I checked the book out from the library is because the guy just seemed so damn cool on the radio - people were calling in and asking for advice and his just sounded like a guru of the real. The book thus far is tres bien; he essentially is visiting American men in a variety of contexts and inserting himself Hunter S. Thompson style in their stories and lives. I will definitely give it the full treatment when I finish.

That's it; I think I will put up a second post here with some cool links I've seen this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment