Monday, May 5, 2008

Apocalypse H2O!

So I just took the pups for a long W in the Phoenix summer spring sun. And as usual, Wrigley galloped into the bedroom to drink water when we got home. Only the bowl was dry. So I went to get her some water from the tap and... nothing.

"Oh crap," I thought. "Phoenix has finally run out of water." Somewhere, Jared Diamond smiled.

Nope, it turns out - and Aaron may or may not appreciate this - that our apartment complex FORGOT TO PAY THE WATER BILL. D'oh! Delinquency and procrastination, it's not just for recent college grads any more! So for the time being, we are without water here at the complex. This may prove interesting for my pre-work shower / shaving - did I mention that the dogs and I, as is our habit, ran the last quarter mile home? And if you didn't know this already, you should be aware that I suffer from a condition called Nyet-sweat. I pity the poor tutoree.

Meanwhile, S&W get to drink store-bought spring water. They live the good life, yes. Which reminds me of a tale from the tutoring front: I had a girl, let's call her Mona Corona, who did not know what a perimeter is. She dropped her Prada shades and turned her diamond encrusted iPhone off long enough to be sure to hear my explanation. I, spotting a rare moment of math-English syzygy, said, "Let's split the word up: what does "meter" mean at the end of a word?" She didn't know, so I told her about thermometers, speedometers, Shawon-o-meters, and the fact that what they had in common was that they all measured things. So "meter" means "measure." Then I told her about a periscope, and how it sees "around things." I asked her if she could think of another word with "peri" in it, hoping she would go with "peripheral" or something of that ilk. But she said,

"Perrier?"

OH, OH: No. No.

No comments:

Post a Comment