Friday, May 16, 2008

Frank: Changing the World One Nyet at a Time

Exciting week in the Ballad - I took my bike into the shop on Monday to get tuned up / new tires. Taking the bike in was interesting - it just barely fit in the Honda, kinda diagonal across the back and front seats with the front tire off. Yikes. So on Wednesday when I went back to get it, I though it would be smarter just to run to the store, a scant three miles away. No big deal. Except I got there and despite the fact that the bike was supposed to be done on Tuesday after 5, they were still working on it. So I jogged around the block for another half an hour while they fixed it. Fun! After they finally financially molested me, I got my bike back - brakes sweet, derailers sweet, tires nice and pumped and shiny, good to go. I rode home in just a few minutes; much more fun than the running it took to get there.

So since Wednesday I've been biking into work. And besides the sweat and the interesting hair formations that the helmet (yes, Frank, the HELMET) gives me, I'd say it's working great. SO great, in fact, that this morning I planned a little jaunt:

That's a 9 miles bike trip (18 miles total) down to the disc golf course at Vista Del Camino. Big fun, except of course I picked a gusty windy day to do it - biking there with the wind at my back wasn't too bad, but on the way home with the wind in my face was a little exciting. And the gusty winds made for a terrible round, too - a pretty decent par start got super derailed on the back nine, and I ended up about +7. Ouch! My back has been bugging me since Wednesday - here's hoping that's just coincidental and not caused by the biking - so thanks to that and the gusty wind, my drives were going nowhere and or majorly askew. And predictably, putting was a joke. No fun. But the bike ride was sweet; I was on the Green Belt the whole way, and except for a couple of traffic lights, it was completely easy, traffic-free riding. Huzzah.

That's about it. Trying to get in contact with the Danimal to see about going to DBacks - Tigers games this weekend. We'll see. Otherwise it's a light day of tutoring today and all day tutoring tomorrow. Bleh. Will see you on the flip side, hopefully with more enthralling things to post.

No comments:

Post a Comment