Friday, May 23, 2008

Indiana, No Relation to Nyet

Beck finished work at a reasonable hour last night, so we booked it over to the garish cineplex - complete with gigantic Indiana posters, more-than-life-sized Hulks, and loud sounds oh my the loud sounds - to watch, on opening night, the new Indiana Jones movie. On the way to the the theater, I asked Beck if he she was excited to see her boyfriend ont eh big screen.

"Boyfriend? He's old enough to be my grand..."

And we both though it at the same time - he's old enough to be her grandfriend.

"Oh, so he's your other grandfriend. I see."

Back when the Beck and I started dating, beck's parents, probably in effort to not commit a mislabeling faux paus and/or some kind of residual Victorian ethical code, would never refer to me as "Beck's boyfriend." I was either "a friend of Beck's" or, most often, "Beck's special friend from Texas." (Cue remark from Ali re: "special" in 3, 2, 1...). Beck's grandfather Papa / Alan was not one for such indirect euphemisms, so once I passed muster (I think this required being able to talk baseball and admitting the demigod status of Ted Williams), he referred to me as his "grandfriend." So now that Harrison has attained a similar though reverse direction label, I think all is right with the world. Nice.

I won't spoil the movie - and it's worth seeing, by which I mean it's fun and loud and exciting and all that and actually manages to make some rather funny meta-jokes - but Beck, post-movie, delivered what in my estimation is the most perfect review ever:

"I really wish they hadn't included the _________________."

Let's play the comment game - if you can guess what goes in the blanks, you win the prize.

So 'twas a good Thursday night - looking forward to the weekend and the end of a week in which I'm pretty sure I've had more cancellations at work than actual appointments. Blar. I'm off now to finish a couple of books; reviews coming later.

No comments:

Post a Comment