Monday, May 12, 2008

He is a Champion, My Friends

n626142577_878232_5694

Aaron hit up Sunny Azz this weekend, sadly without the above upper lip monster. But we made do. Picked him up from the airport Thursday night and got ready for a fun-filled weekend of NOT tutoring and hanging with the A-child.

Beck grabbed some ridiculously good pizza from Oregano's for dinner as Aaron and I rolled home from the airport (Special note - do NOT leave your headphone cord hanging out the door if you plan on driving 65 mph. It'll make you think your car has a death rattle, and, it turns out, it's not incredibly good for your headphone jack). So we devoured that, let the VCR record Lost (DVR = a chump's game!) and learned that the Spurs smoked NO for the first of two times over the extended weekend. Wahoo! Headed to bed pretty early as we had a bang-up day of disc golf ahead of us.

Stunningly, and perhaps with the help of a two hour time change, I managed to get Aaron up off the futon at about 6:15 so we could drive over to Fountain Hills for a round by the lake. Yeah! The matchup was pretty great - it turns out I can outdrive Mr. Toe by about 8-10 yards pretty consistently, but he has some dead-eye putting skills, nailing baskets from 50 feet away at times. Wowsers! So our games are pretty complimentary, and if I had thought about it for two seconds, we should have played scramble style. Oh, well. Aaron played the course quite nicely - he ended up at about +3 including only one lost disc (which cost him a stroke) and some spectacular putts. One of his par-saving putts was particularly ridiculous as he swished it in the basket from a good 20 yards away; that's the type of shot I lay up, but Aaron has no fear. Not bad at all for the first time out. I shot a +1, stupidly missing a few easy birdie putts and otherwise playing a boring round. But it is vastly more fun to play with my homey bro.

We took a break for a bit and came home to walk the pups; Aaron got to experience the joy that is running down our road with Wrigley at full sprint. She is seriously fast, and it's pretty hilarious watching Sparkle's ears bounce up and down as she tries to keep up. Feeling refreshed, we drove over to Vista Del Camino for another round. Aaron came out of the gates rusty and bogeyed the first couple holes; he also dropped a couple of shots into the river that winds through the course and ended up with about a +6. She's a fickle course. He did birdie the 10th hole with a pretty forehand that dropped within two feet of the basket on the drive. Excellente. I again played some super boring golf, birdieing one, missing a ton of putts and choking on one par putt to go even for the course. Ho-hum. But a great morning of disc golf, and we hit up the pro-shop to replace the ones that caught water.

Funny note: the shop has a lost and found program. They drag the water hazards on the course now and then and if you put your name on the disc, they'll return it to the shop. For two bucks, you get your 15 dollar disc back. Nice! So they had one of my discs from a couple fo weeks back, and as the guy went to retrieve it from the storage bin I took out my ID to show him that I was, indeed, Nyet J. An he said, "Don't worry, man, if this isn't you, that's your karma." And so of course, I immediately thought of how ridiculous I was being - the staple line is "Yes, 'cause that's what I do - I walk into disc golf shops and pretend to be other people so I can buy their lost discs at discount."

We then headed back to the apartment and caught the first of three Cubs wins v. the DBacks this weekend - a sweep "seven months too late" as my dad put it. Yep. Aaron and I then plugged in and tuned up guitars, jammed, and even put together a little drum-machine / synthesizer combo that will surely be climbing the charts soon. (I think Aaron was playing some kind of Irish dirge or something as I dropped my staple "Funky Col' Medina" beat; so when I say climbing the charts, I am being highly sarcastic. Our cover of Sweet Child O' Mine was much better).

Good times! Aaron then rocked a little Frets on Fire until we got a hold of Beck - we met up with her at Pinnacle Peak for a post-work hike. I didn't even think to bring my camera, so I'll have to do that in the next couple of days. Really pretty hike on a ludicrously manicured trail in Scottsdale. Great views, and it's not too long - some people were jogging the trail, so i got inspired and ran back instead of just hiking. Turns out running up hills is difficult. Downhill = much nicer. I am tempted to make that a regular workout - the mountain is not TOO far, so I may be able to bike there, run a three mile hill course and then bike back as an all-around workout. Maybe; we'll see.

Got back to the apartment at about 8:30 and made some burritos. We had another early start ahead of us the next day - NEXT POST - so we went to bed pretty early after catching a silly episode of Numb3rs. So a good Friday start to the weekend, and more fun to be had the next day in the NEXT POST.

No comments:

Post a Comment