Wednesday, March 14, 2007

The Muppets Take Geneseo (Pt. 3)

Sunday
Will (owner of the *Sweet* Briar, not the connoisseur of fine wines / hot dogs , intentional failer of IQ tests, champion of Kilgore, ignoramus of supply line tactics OR the knower of Plutonian planetary requirements) called and asked us to come an hour later on Sunday, negating the time change which robbed us of an hour of sleep (speaking of, I SO do not appreciate losing an hour inside my spring break - I am hereby planning on coming into work an hour late on Monday. The MAN = STUCK TO!). So we lumbered around the house Sunday morning (more Frosted Flakes for me) and eventually got going at about 10:15. Great ride up with Meghan and the Beck; we actually broached non-wedding topics and discussed some avant garde music composition. Woohoo. Arrived at Sweet Briar at 11 in time to see some hippie folk coming out...

Will regave us the tour and my parents got to see the site of our wedding / reception, which was nice. The grounds were snowed over so I didn't bother taking a second set of wintry photos of the spot; we'll wait until our springtime hitching to see the true beauty of the place. Will was fantastic and answered all questions whether they were asked once or fifteen times. There was an abundance of concern over weather, but he has a solid plan in place. Overall we are PSYCHED that Will is in charge of the site, because it sounds as though he pretty much coordinates the whole thing and is very bride/groom focused. Schwank.

We stopped by the Bishops' on the way home and finalized some details for the wedding eve party. Mike and Anne are being outrageously generous; big thanks to them, too. We saw Mike and Jim (Anne was out) and hung out for a bit before heading back to Rachacha so that Beck would have time to prepare for her shower (We also saw Sadie and Jetta, who are very muscular dogs and make our mutts look like, um, mutts).

Ah, the Shower. Sweet relief for me, fun times and gift-receiving for Beck. Beck's wedding, of course. I stayed at home with Scott and my dad while the rest of the crew headed over to Beck's Aunt Ginny / Led Robster's home so that Beck sould NOT play games and enjoy a wealth of awesome gifts. In the meantime, my Dad, Scott and I watched portions of the Ohio St. and Texas college basketball games. I later went for a run and then played some more pool with Dad. Good times.

The women folk eventually returned and we gawked at the loot. We then sat down to discuss wedding financials, which was all in all an amicable experience. Then we hunkered down to taste test barbecue for the first of two nights. YES! Really great ribs from the first place, and not to fast forward too much, but the second place was vastly better. Friday night of wedding week '07 should be just fine.

Beck and I stayed up for a bit and watched Stranger Than Fiction which I will review (more pan than pick) soon. Good day. I must say that S&W were fairly well behaved for the duration of the trip; I'll give them a pictorial shoutout here:




Monday
I should just sum up Monday by saying that my dad and I went to the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, NY, and logged another 6+ hours of driving around a fun visit to the shrine. I have a lot of pictures, but they will go up on the next post. Beck spent the day registering for some pottery down near Ithaca; she picked some really awesome plates and bowls and mugs which I highly suggest you look at and then generously purchase. We did not reunite until later that evening, and mustered just enough strength to eat some more barbecue and have the aforementioned item by item barbecue place debates. Nice wrap up to a good visit in Rochester.

Tuesday
Drove back. I should not have logged the extra hours on Monday because I was highly irritated with the length of the drive Tuesday. Oh, well. Fine enough trip, and we returned to a snowless yard. Hurray for warmer weather (which will surely be gone gone gone soon). My parents stopped by our house briefly and then took off for Aunt Ruth's place in North Reading - we bid them good night and then crashed ourselves a couple of hours later.

Wednesday
My parents met us for brunch at the South Street Diner in Westboro; we were lucky enough to coincide with a half-day at Westborough High so we were soon joined by a slew of Westboro hooligans. Kids these days. We followed up our fantabulous breakfast with a quick tour of the Vet school and then hung out a bit before my parents had to leave for their flight from Providence (and I had to head out for tutoring duties). All in all, a great if somewhat intense visit. As usual, my effort level in writing these posts has waned as the posting went on, but hey, I can't really be blamed for stopping and watching Lost in the middle. Can I?

My HOF trip got glossed over a bit; suffice it to say that the HOF is fairly classy and well done. Actually, the Hall itself is very, very serene and nice; the baseball history section of the museum is memorabilia stacked and fairly cool and the rest of the museum is pretty okay. I kept getting the feeling that I could get just as rich of a baseball experience from some of the exhibits as I could get by poring over stats at home. But it was good to make the pilgrimage, and now we have a wealth of pictures taboot. Those pics will appear as a separate post for themselves. In fact, why not now...

NEhoo, thanks for a great week, family. It was fairly intense and goofy levels of stressful all things considered, but I still had a good time whith la familia (extended). See y'all soon, and remember: it's all going to be JUST FINE.

No comments:

Post a Comment