Sunday, March 4, 2007

Praise the Dawning

After an early AM e-mail battle with the iPMM, I'm finally ready to let the living join me. Last night Ben & Ali had invited me over for dinner/movie fun times, but I just wasn't up for it - sore back and crappy feelings, I decided to stay home lying on the couch and saying hey to my dogs. I did, however, hold up my end of the blog-bargain, and finished off a book:

The Inner Game of Tennis

AND I settled in to watch a movie, Blood Simple, which is so good I'm not going to even bother writing a review and will just give it a 92 straight up. It's another in a series of films that not only inspire because they are so great but just make some of the current crop feel downright embarrassing. It's the first Coen Bros. film, FYI, but it's a vastly more serious take on the film noir style and features some breath-taking scenes. Check it.

Oh, and I spent part of yesterday afternoon reading up on a lot of jazz and some of the avant garde classical music scene - cool peeps like John Cage and his infamous 4'33":


So I gathered some info and virtually went over to the iTunes store where I spent a gift certificate that the iPrents had given me for my birthday (Thanks!). Here's some of the fantastic tuneage I downloaded:

John Cage - Sonatas and Interludes for Prepared Piano, In a Landscape
Ornette Coleman - The Shape of Jazz to Come
Bill Evans Trio - Sunday at the Village Vanguard, Waltz for Debby
Art Pepper - Art Pepper + Eleven: Modern Jazz Classics, Meets the Rhythm Section
Deerhunter - Cryptograms
Miles Davis - On the Corner
Pat Metheny Group - Self-titled

Otherwise, not a whole lot - Beck is currently gymming and at 10 disappears for the day, so I am left here to my lonesome. So I'll leave you with an awesome link:

Music in the Now

No comments:

Post a Comment